Chapter Thirty One: Picking up the pieces

-One month after the Siege of Vale.-

All of Vale had felt the loss of so many. Over the past month, the entire city was rebuilding and searching for meaning behind this seemingly random attack.

But buildings could be restored, while the lives lost during the attack which had been called the Siege of Vale could not. A memorial was erected in the Dragon's Grotto District to honor the fallen, at the Kaiju's request.

Godzilla was still recovering, his strength still not fully restored from the battle. However, all the King of Monsters was thinking of right now, were the ramifications of the attack.

So many brave Huntsmen and Huntresses lost their lives fighting by his side, and he himself came close to death.

Then there was Salem.

When he first awoke, he was informed that the explosion he caused hurt the immortal bad. In fact, she had burn scars on her left arm now.

Godzilla knew that it was because of the radiation he exudes whenever he fights. Godzilla had long served as the balance of the Natural Order of things, Nature's wrath made manifest.

Immortals like Zeus and Salem were perversions of the order he had enforced for millions of years, and thus against him, they were as mortal as anyone else.

Ironwood and Atlas had aided in the rebuilding of Vale, pooling their still considerable resources to the effort.

Still, there were some things that could never be rebuilt.

Ruby and Yang were still grieving the death of their Uncle, but Qrow's death hit Ruby particularly hard.

Not only was he her Uncle, but her mentor, teacher... her role model, despite his bad drinking habit.

Ruby held Qrow's flask in her hand, the contents had been drained by Qrow before he was killed by Crawlers.

Tears flowed freely from Ruby's eyes as she looked at the flask. This hurt her far worse than Pyrrha's death during the fall of Beacon.

"I guess his luck had to run out, someday..." Yang said sadly.

Ruby just sat silently sobbing to herself. She knew Yang was trying to be strong for her, but she could tell that her sister was suffering like she was right now.

Weiss and Blake entered the dorm with some food for their teammates.

"We're getting ready to start rebuilding the Market District of the city." Blake said. "You guys gonna be okay?"

"Yeah, but we won't ever completely get over his loss." Yang said. "Especially Rubes. She looked up to Qrow, so..."

"It hurts..." Ruby whimpered. "It hurts so bad..."

She clutched her chest as if something ice cold had just stabbed her in the heart, then started twisting and making the pain worse.

Ruby Rose was suffering from a broken heart, the worst pain anyone could feel. First her mother, and now Qrow.

"Ruby, I..." Weiss started to say. "I'm so sorry."

Yang and Blake got up to head to the memorial in the Grotto District, while Weiss stayed with Ruby.

Qrow's death did have a side effect for Team RWBY, Yang and Blake were much closer to each other now, and Ruby and Weiss had also grown closer.

Weiss tried to find something to say to her leader, but couldn't find anything to say.

"Thought you'd be here." Godzilla said. "How are you holding up?"

"Not great..." Ruby answered. "He's gone, Godzilla... I feel so... useless."

"Don't go down that road." Weiss berated.

"I know how you feel, Ruby." Godzilla said. "When Mechagodzilla killed my father I was... alone. It was Anguirus who found me. He was my oldest friend... but when Ghidorah arrived on Earth, he fought him and told me to run."

"What happened to Anguirus?" Weiss asked.

"He... fought valiantly." Godzilla managed to say as tears welled up in his eyes. "But he... didn't survive."

Ruby and Weiss looked at Godzilla and were surprised to see the normally stoic Kaiju, crying right in front of them.

"You must miss him..." Ruby said.

"I do." Godzilla replied. "He knew he was in over his head fighting Ghidorah, but he stood his ground. He was strong, courageous... and incredibly wise. What would you say Qrow was in his life?"

Ruby thought about what the Kaiju asked her. "Fearless, compassionate, and he did everything he could to help those in need."

Godzilla chuckled, wiping tears from his eyes. "Then he lives on in his niece." He stated. "Anguirus, Qrow, your mother, and my father. They may be gone, but they live on with us. In here..."

He pointed at Ruby's head before he pointed at her chest. "And in here." He added.

Ruby wiped her face, and sniffled a bit before she smiled. "Thanks Godzilla." She said. "You're a good friend."

Godzilla smiled. "Of course. We are a pack, Ruby. We look out for each other."

Ruby smiled at the Kaiju, before she brought him into a hug.

Weiss smiled, seeing Ruby had perked up a bit. And now, she saw Godzilla in a whole new light.

He was a warrior, but he had many scars, physical and otherwise, but he still remained strong regardless.

Godzilla returned Ruby's gesture, before he made his way to the war room.

"So..." Ruby said. "What now?"

"Now..." Weiss replied. "We help rebuild the city. But first, there's something I want to give you..."

"Ooh! I love surprises!" Ruby said excitedly. "What is it!?"

Weiss said nothing, instead she leaned forward and kissed Ruby on the lips.

The other girl let out a muffled gasp of surprise, before Weiss broke the kiss, leaving Ruby speechless.

"Weiss, I..." Ruby said, distantly.

"Ruby, I..." Weiss said hesitantly. "I meant to say this when we got back from Atlas, but... I love you!"

Weiss tried to walk away, mentally chastising herself for her actions until Ruby grabbed her waist, turned the Heiress around and pulled her in for another kiss.

After a while, they both separated. "I love you too, Weiss." Ruby said.

Weiss smiled as tears started falling from her eyes, and the two embraced each other.

After awhile the two exited their dorm and went to help a city that was still picking up the pieces.

I think that's where I'll call this emotional chapter. I'll say this because I speak from experience, depression sucks. Especially after a loved one dies. If anyone relates to this chapter, my heart goes out to you, because I know how that shit feels. As always, comment, rate, and leave advise so I can improve. Stay positive, stay safe, and I'll see you in the next chapter. Have a good night guys.