Chapter Forty One: The Challenge

Muto was pacing around the main area of Team Godzilla's base. She was anxious, though she didn't know why.

Part of her was happy to have such good companions. Mothra, Rodan, Ruby and her team, they had been good to her. Even Godzilla.

But another part of her was screaming at her to bring Godzilla down, and seize leadership of the pack for herself.

Muto ignored those urges for a long time since she and her fellow Kaiju arrived on Remnant. Godzilla was strong, perhaps the only being strong enough to beat Ghidorah.

But his defeat at Mechagodzilla's hands, had shaken her, and caused her to seriously think of taking him out.

"Thought you'd be up." Said a voice.

Muto's head sprang up in surprise as she looked at the voice's source.

Godzilla was standing at the entrance of the clinic. He wore an expression that told Muto he was slightly aware of what she was thinking.

"Y-yeah." Muto replied. "Trouble getting some sleep."

"Let's get some air." Godzilla suggested. "I think we both could use it."

Muto nodded, but was now wary of Godzilla's intentions. He seemed too calm.

She could use that to her advantage.

-Mantle streets.-

Godzilla and Muto walked for some time, checking the city for either more Atlesian Knights, Grimm, or Grimm Hybrids.

Godzilla sighed, his strength had all but returned at this point. A few more days and he'd be back at a hundred percent.

Muto however, seemed conflicted about her plan. Even while weakened, Godzilla could still tear a Grimm apart.

No! He was weak right now. The longer she waited, the stronger he got. It needed to be now or never.

"Muto." Godzilla said suddenly. "You've been very quiet lately. Something wrong?"

"Not really." Muto replied. "How are you? Your metal lookalike seemed to give you a real pounding."

Godzilla just grunted.

"They're just scratches now." He replied. "I'll be back to fighting shape soon."

"And I thought I was the early bird!" Rodan yelled.

He and Mothra landed in front of the two Kaiju, and they proceeded to talk as they moved.

"Nothing in the sky. If Mechagodzilla did leave any trace of where he went, I think we missed it." Rodan reported.

"Either way, we have to find it. Soon." Godzilla replied.

Muto was silent the entire time, but she clenched her fists.

She hadn't joined his pack. He wasn't her alpha.

"If you're planning on challenging me." Godzilla said, his voice nearly a growl. "You had better be very sure."

Muto looked up at Godzilla in surprise. Did he know!? How could he have found out!?

Mothra and Rodan looked at the two, both could practically smell the tension. It was now a question of who would throw the first punch.

"Oh, I'm sure." Muto said. "You still haven't fully recovered from your fight with Mechagodzilla, and I plan on killing you before you do."

Godzilla's lips curled up into a snarl. "I knew you'd try to fight me sooner or later." He replied. "Fine then. Take your best shot."