chapter two

"Rashir

"Rashir...bro you good?" Rashir heard Nico ask on the other side of his bedroom door. He looked at the damage he had done to his room. Another hole in the wall and his knuckles were now split open and bleeding.

He cleared his throat before replying "Yeah I'm straight." He heard the doorknob jiggle for a couple of seconds before his bedroom door opened and revealed Nico standing there with a concerned expression on his face. How did he do that? Rashir could of swore he locked the door.

"Nah you not bro, what's going on?" Nico asked him while looking at the hole in the wall. There had been many times Rashir had gotten angry and took to beating his wall because of video games or pent-up frustration, but this time he looked stressed which worried Nico.

"It's just my Dad fucking pestering me, as usual." Rashir sighed while running his hands through his hair. He made his way to his en-suite bathroom and began to wash his hands while looking for the first aid kit he stored under the sink.

"What did he say this time?" Nico asked him cautiously, afraid he was going to get worked up again, Nico knew Rashir and his father's relationship was a very sore subject.

"He keeps reminding me to stay focused on basketball every goddamn day. Every time he calls it's always 'How's practice going?' and whenever I don't answer him he just calls from my Mom's phone to ask."  he replied agitated.

Rashir Martin was a basketball prodigy as most people liked to say. His Mom had enrolled him in a basketball team when he was just 8 and from then on the entire town knew he was going somewhere. He started playing with away teams, winning small tournaments, and was getting recognized by coaches all over the country by the age of 17. Rashir grew up in a low-income part of Silver Spring, Maryland with both of his parents and 3 sisters Patience, Janiya, and Nijhea. Patience was the oldest of the 4 siblings at 25 while Nijhea and Heaven were both in high school.

Both of his parents worked low-paying jobs and could barely afford to send Rashir to the camps his basketball coaches recommended them. His father saw Rashir as a way out of poverty and was determined to turn Rashir into an NBA basketball star. Rashir had to deal with him constantly checking up on him and asking his coaches what he could do to help him improve. Last year Rashir's coach got annoyed with his antics and ended up blocking his father's number.

Rashir thought it was hilarious until his father resorted to calling him twice as much to make up for the lost communication.

"When are you just gonna block his number bruh?" Nico asked him while shaking his head at his hot-headed friend.

"I can't, he'll tell my mom that I'm ignoring him or just show up here and Ion need him doing that right now," Rashir finished disinfecting his knuckles and went back into his bedroom. "Why you still here anyway? I thought you and Matt was going to that bar near campus," He changed the subject, not wanting to talk about his father anymore.