chapter seven

Lourdes was hesitant to ring the doorbell of the boy's home

Lourdes was hesitant to ring the doorbell of the boy's home. She was standing on the porch, contemplating all of the reasons this was a bad idea. What if she saw Rashir? She couldn't exactly run away, considering she was at his house. She was praying to God that he was out partying somewhere but judging by the 3 cars parked in their driveway, it seemed like they were all home. Made sense, considering it was a Wednesday night.

She reached up to ring the doorbell and jumped when her phone rang in her bag, scaring her half to death. She rummaged through her bag to see who was calling her and immediately scowled when she saw it was her mother. Why the fuck was she still calling her? She had been calling for the entire week and each time, Lourdes declined. She didn't know what could possibly be so important that she was blowing up her phone on the daily but frankly, she didn't care. Lourdes declined the call and blocked her, now in a bad mood. She was tired, hungry and her feet were sore from standing after her shift at the diner. As she was putting her phone back in her bag, the door swung open, scaring her again and resulting in her dropping her phone. She swore under her breath and bent down to pick it up, praying it didn't shatter on the concrete. She turned it over, letting out a sigh of relief when she only saw a tiny scratch on the screen protector.

"My fault, I ain't realize it was you," She looked up to see who was speaking and her eyes widened when she realized it was Rashir. They stared at each other for a moment and she gave him an embarrassed smile. He still didn't know why she had run away from him and she didn't exactly want to explain it to him.

"It's fine, is Mateo here?" She asked him and he nodded, stepping aside to let her in.

"He's upstairs, I'll go get him for you," He began to walk towards the stairs.

"Wait!-" Lourdes stopped him. This was the only time she would probably get to be alone with him and she wanted to put this entire thing past her. He raised his eyebrows at her, signaling for her to speak and she gulped. "I'm sorry for running away the other night, it wasn't anything you did, I just," She paused and looked down at her feet. She didn't want to admit it out loud but she was scared. She was scared of Myles finding her and she was scared that the mere sight of one of his friends was enough to cause a panic attack. She thought that she had fully healed from the situation but this was a wake-up call.

"Hey," She felt Rashir put his hand under her chin and lifted her head to face him, "You don't gotta tell me, aight? Whatever happened, happened, it's fine." He said firmly, staring into her eyes to let her know that he was being sincere. She was thankful that he wasn't prying and trying to understand what happened since it was obvious that she was uncomfortable with the subject.

She gave him a grateful smile and nodded, "Thank you," She replied and he nodded.

"No problem," He took a step back and she felt the warmth from her chin disappear. "Imma go get Mateo, have fun with yo project," He smirked at her and she laughed.