chapter forty-three

Lourdes pulled her car into the driveway of the boy's home, exhausted

Lourdes pulled her car into the driveway of the boy's home, exhausted. Even though she'd planned to quit the diner months ago, her other job application hadn't completely gone through yet, so she was just waiting to hear back from the school she was supposed to be aiding at. Since her manager, Crystal, had caught wind of the fact that she was quitting, she'd been taking it out on her scheduling and adding more hours, hoping it would convince her not to quit, when it was really doing the opposite. She'd been scheduled from 8 to 6 today, and while that was already pushing it, she'd been asked to stay until closing so she was just getting off at 9. To add to it all, she'd received a call from her brother, Mykell, that their mother–who she hadn't spoken to since she moved out, had been diagnosed with stage 2 Breast Cancer.

Mykell has explained that their mother had been trying to reach out to her so she could tell her and hopefully get her to visit, but Lourdes had blocked her number months ago, so she had no idea this was happening.

While the news was saddening, Lourdes was having a hard time finding any type of sympathy for the woman. Her mother had made her life a living hell for years, and in a weird way, this seemed like karma for all of the abuse she had put her kids through.

Lourdes cut the engine of her car off and stepped out, grabbing her overnight bag which was in the passenger seat. She trudged to the front door and rang the doorbell, waiting for Rashir to answer it while holding back frustrated tears. Her day had been going horribly and all she wanted was to be cuddled up with her man, watching cartoons or something cute.

After a couple of moments, the door swung open, and there stood Rashir in his flannel pajama pants and a black Nike hoodie, with his regular chains and the bracelet she'd given to him a while ago.

"Hi baby," he leaned down to peck her lips and she gave him a small smile, her mood already improving now that she was with him. They hadn't seen each other as often as they liked to nowadays and they'd been trying to fix that. He had practice more often, now that March Madness was coming up, and she was working even more at the diner, so their schedules didn't always align. She missed him a lot during the day, and sometimes caught herself catching an attitude with him, just because she knew couldn't see him that day, which she was trying to work on. She hated that she'd become the clingy girlfriend that couldn't stand to be away from her man but she couldn't help it.

"Hi," She mumbled, stepping inside and taking her shoes off, along with her jacket.

"What's wrong?" Rashir asked with concern, tilting her chin up with his hand and she bit her lip. She'd been holding back her tears all day and now it seemed like they were ready to make an appearance.

"Nothing," She shrugged him off, not feeling like talking about it. While she was getting better, she still liked to shove all of her feelings into a box and lock the key, refusing to talk about it with anyone no matter how much she trusted them.