chapter eleven

"What is it?" Gianna looked at her with concern as she studied the girl who had turned back around to order her food

"What is it?" Gianna looked at her with concern as she studied the girl who had turned back around to order her food. Lourdes still didn't know this girl's name, she had never seen her on campus before and what she said in the bathroom at the basketball game hadn't left her mind.

"Do you know who that girl is?" She asked her and gestured to her.

"Thara?" Gianna turned back around and Lourdes nodded. "Yeah that's Thara Le, she goes to UMD. I'm surprised you don't know who she is, she's pretty well known." Gianna explained and took a sip of her orange juice.

"Is she a senior?" Lourdes asked.

"Yeah, why are you asking so many questions about her?"

"No reason," Lourdes rushed out, but Gianna knew she was lying, "Okay, remember the basketball game?"

"Yeah,"

"And remember how I came back from the bathroom all mad?"

"Mhm,"

"When I was in there she like, ambushed me at the sink and basically called me a hoe and told me that I'm never going to be more than a hookup to Rashir," Lourdes told her. Thara had left by the time she had finished explaining and thankfully hadn't noticed them staring her down.

"What? Why didn't you tell anyone?" Gianna exclaimed.

"Because Nala would have beat her ass."

"True," Gianna agreed, "But still, that's so weird. She's not even dating him so why is she acting like that?"

"I don't know, but I didn't even know who she was until you just told me," Lourdes shrugged. She noticed the food was coming and did a little happy dance in her seat, excited to eat the french toast she had been craving for days. They thanked the food runner and dug into their food, sighing in satisfaction at the taste. "Whoever made this needs their dick sucked," She mumbled with a mouth full of food.

"For real," Gianna nodded her head in agreement.

They finished eating and put the rest of their food in takeout containers. Gianna asked for a bottle so she could take her orange juice home and Lourdes looked at her with embarrassment, "What? We only get this shit once a week, I need to make it last." Gianna defended. Their server thought their banter was hilarious and happily gave Gianna her bottle, causing her to give Lourdes a smug look.

Gianna pulled out her wallet to leave a tip and Lourdes slapped her hand out of the way. "Don't start this shit again Gia, you pay for the meal, I leave the tip." Lourdes glared at her while getting some cash from her purse. Every Sunday they went through this, until Gianna surrendered and let Lourdes leave the tip, but not without complaining.

"Fine," She retreated and got out of her seat to stretch. "I'm gonna use the bathroom, I'll be right back,"

When she came back, they said goodbye to Lola and put their leftovers in the trunk of Gianna's car, getting ready to go to the Whole Foods down the street. "Are we walking?" Lourdes asked her and Gianna looked at her like she was crazy.