chapter fifteen

Rashir, Nico, and Mateo were currently blasting music as they drove to Field of Screams, which was a 30-minute drive from their house

Rashir, Nico, and Mateo were currently blasting music as they drove to Field of Screams, which was a 30-minute drive from their house. It was Halloween night, and there seemed to be a lot of traffic which was annoying Rashir. "Why was everyone just staying still? Just go." He thought to himself.

He had offered to drive, but Nico and Mateo declined. They didn't want to be stuck in his Camaro for the long drive since it only had 2 full seats and the back was a tiny space that none of the 6 foot basketball players wanted to squeeze into so Mateo was driving his G Wagon.

"How long till we there?" He asked Mateo for the 5th time in the past 10 minutes. They were sitting on a highway, in the same spot that they were the last time he had asked. It was 8 pm on a Sunday, but apparently, everyone had somewhere to be on Halloween.

"Like 20 minutes bro, stop asking me that," Mateo fussed from the driver's seat. Rashir rolled his eyes and pouted in his seat like a child, just wanting to be there already. He and Lourdes made a group chat a couple of days before with everyone's numbers in it so they could plan the times and didn't have to text anybody separately. Right now, Nala was cussing the boys out for running late and Nico was trying to apologize while everyone else in the group chat was enjoying their banter.

"Man, someone tell Nala to relax, she been cussing my ass out for like 15 minutes," Nico whined from the back seat. Rashir and Mateo laughed at their friend's expense, finding it hilarious that a girl that was 5'6 and a year younger than Nico was able to boss him around the way that she did. "It's not funny bruh, Rashir say something," He hit Rashir on the shoulder.

"What I'm pose' to say?"

"Tell her that you're the reason we late,"

"Nigga it's your fault, fuck you mean? You was in the shower for like an hour and a half," Rashir scoffed. Nico liked to take very long showers, which annoyed Mateo and Rashir to no end. The boys all had their own ensuite bathrooms at their house, but whenever Nico got in a shower he used up all of the hot water, so no one else could shower for at least 20 minutes after he did.

"She ain't need to know that," Nico grumbled.

They continued driving for a couple more minutes, listening to the music that was playing and Rashir went on his phone to kill time. They were supposed to be at Field of Screams at 7:45 but it was nearing 8:00 and they were still at least 10 minutes away.

Field of Screams was a huge field that had haunted houses, haunted trails, and haunted hayrides with food stands that only came around once a year during Halloween. There were 2 trails, a 'slaughterhouse' and a hayride. It was one of the most popular places to go during the Halloween season in the DMV area and Rashir had only been once in his teenage years. Everyone in the group had bought tickets to go to all the attractions and they were all excited. He had teased Lourdes for the days leading up to Halloween, claiming she was going to be the first one to dart out of the emergency exits. They had made a bet, if she made it through all of the attractions without leaving early, he would pay for her food at the restaurant they would go to after they left.