chapter twenty-two

Saturday morning, Rashir was in his car driving home from Lourdes's apartment with a permanent smile etched onto his face

Saturday morning, Rashir was in his car driving home from Lourdes's apartment with a permanent smile etched onto his face. He and Lourdes had made up after a week of not talking and he was relieved. He hadn't expected to spend the night at her house, he had sped to her apartment immediately after the game ended Friday night and he didn't think he'd be there for long.

He pulled into his driveway and turned his car off, quickly grabbing his things and slamming his car door. He had practice at 12 and it was 10:45, so he had some time to shower and get ready. He had slept surprisingly well last night, when he tried to fall asleep on Lourdes's couch, he was tossing and turning for a while until he decided to take a chance and ask Lourdes if he could sleep in her bed. He was fully expecting her to say no and was shocked when she agreed. He was 100% sure only agreed because she just wanted him to shut up so she could get back to sleep though.

When he woke up alone in the bed, he remembered the events of the previous night and was immediately put into a good mood. He could hear Lourdes and her friends badgering her about why he had spent the night, but he said nothing, figuring he wouldn't embarrass her any more than she already was.

He unlocked the front door, tossing his keys on the little tray they had, and kicked his shoes off.

"Look who's finally home," Nico came around the corner from the kitchen with some sort of yellow substance all over the front of his shirt and his hands dirty as hell, "I thought you were gonna come home last night,"

"What the hell happened to you?" Rashir looked at him with disgust, ignoring his question.

"Mateo went out so I tried making eggs," Nico looked down at himself, "Don't change the subject, did you spend the night at Lourdes's apartment? Have a lil' makeup sex?"

"No, we talked and it was late so I spent the night," Rashir rolled his eyes, walking to the kitchen to see the damage Nico had done to it. He stopped at the entrance and grimaced, the island looked like something threw up on it and there were dirty pots stacked in the sink. "Why do you keep trying to cook? We all know you can't," He turned to Nico, "You better clean this up before Mateo comes home or else he gon' spazz on yo' ass," He advised him, "I'm gonna shower,"

He exited the kitchen and jogged up the stairs, heading for the guest bathroom. His shower still wasn't fixed and he was reminded to get Mateo to call the plumber. He closed the door behind him and began to peel his shirt off. He paused when he realized they were Lourdes's clothes, his mood dampening. He hadn't asked whose clothes they were when she gave them to him, as far as he knew, she wasn't talking to anyone so it couldn't have been a boyfriend. She hadn't made a move to explain who's clothes they were, so he just dropped it and decided to keep his questions to himself.

He threw the clothes in the hamper and turned on the hot water, stepping into the shower to wash the previous night off.