chapter eight

The Terrapins won, 112-102 but Lourdes was finding it hard to be in a cheery mood

The Terrapins won, 112-102 but Lourdes was finding it hard to be in a cheery mood. The random girl that insulted her in the bathroom was still in her mind and she found herself considering what she was saying to be true. She and Rashir were friends, but she knew that he originally had taken an interest in her because he wanted to fuck, as Nala would put it. She couldn't help but feel like he would eventually lose interest in their friendship since she wasn't doing anything sexual with him and that made her upset. She genuinely enjoyed his company and she didn't want their short-lived friendship to end. She could feel herself wanting to pull back from their friendship as a way of saving her feelings when he would eventually cut ties with her.

When she had gotten back from the bathroom, the girls could sense that she was in a bad mood but when questioned about it, Lourdes denied it and claimed that she just started her period. As the game continued, she caught the eye of the mystery girl who was glaring at her from one of the seats closer to the court.

Now the girls were grabbing their stuff and getting ready to head to Gianna's house to get ready for the party that Lourdes was less than excited to attend. They were making their way down the steps, towards the exit when she heard her name being called. When she turned around, she saw Rashir coming towards her and swore under her breath. She told the girls that she would meet them in the parking lot and waited for Rashir to get to her, hoping to end their conversation as soon as possible.

"You going to the party?" Rashir asked her when he caught up to her and gestured to the bag she had on her arm. She nodded and looked behind him, wincing when she saw the girl from the bathroom shooting daggers at her from across the gym.

"Are you?" She asked and cleared her throat when she realized her voice was high pitched. He nodded back and she chewed on her lip, trying to end the conversation. "Well, I guess I'll see you there then." She smiled at him and turned around to leave, but before she could take a step he grabbed her arm and tugged her back, making her hit his chest.

"What's wrong witchu? Why you acting all weird?" He narrowed his eyes at her and she readjusted her bag on her shoulder.

"I'm not acting weird, I just have to go. The girls are waiting for me, we're going to Gianna's house to get ready." She rushed out and he loosened his grip on her arm. He stared at her for a moment, not knowing whether or not she was lying before he let her go completely and took a step back.

"Text me when you get there." Was all he said before turning around to walk back to the locker rooms. She watched him enter the locker room before she exited the gym and walked to the parking lot while texting Gianna back and telling her she was almost there.

When she arrived, she saw the girls getting into an Uber and ran to catch up. Gianna pointed at the front seat and she sighed, slumping her shoulders, wordlessly entering the car, and fastening her seat belt. She gave the driver a small smile and occupied herself with her phone, looking at Snapchat and swiping up on a few of her classmates' stories.