chapter twenty-four

"Lourdes, why are we here? It's 11 am on a Wednesday," Rashir whined as they trekked through campus

"Lourdes, why are we here? It's 11 am on a Wednesday," Rashir whined as they trekked through campus. It was the day before they were leaving for the Bahamas and Lourdes had dragged Rashir out of bed to run errands with her. She needed to tell the professors, whose class she had on Thursdays and Fridays that she would be absent and get any work they were assigned, finish shopping since she didn't do any the day before, and go home to pack all before 9 pm. The girls were spending the night at the boys house and Aaliyah wanted to get there early to make sure she got a good nights sleep.

Rashir had gotten out of his weird mood and was back to acting normal again. She hadn't asked him about what happened and she didn't really want to. She knew he would just shut down and avoid her questions.

"I told you, I need to pick up some work," She replied, holding the door open for him as they entered one of the buildings. She had asked all of the girls to drive her but they were all busy, so she'd called Rashir to pick her up at her apartment to run errands together. Her car was acting strange so she didn't feel comfortable driving it until she could take it to the shop and get it looked at, which would have to be after the vacation.

"Why didn't you get one of yo' lil' friends to drive you around?"

"I told you, they're all busy,"

"So I was the last choice?"

"Basically," She shrugged, entering one of the lecture halls where she knew her Calculus professor would be. "Come on, you're walking slow as hell," She rushed him. She approached her professor, who was grading papers at her desk.

"Lourdes! What are you doing here?" Professor Williams looked up with surprise, "I don't have you until tomorrow,"

"I'm actually not going to be here tomorrow so I was wondering if I would be missing anything important?" She asked while Rashir rested his chin on her shoulder from behind her. She rolled her eyes at his childishness and swatted at him as her professor looked through her plans.

"Well, we were just going to watch a movie if I'm being honest, you're not missing anything," Her professor, gave her a smile, "You two make such a cute couple! When did you start dating?" She gestured to her and Rashir, making both of their eyes widen with surprise.

"Um, we're not dating," She stammered, "Just friends,"

"Yeah," He cosigned.

"Oh, my bad, well have a nice rest of your day, I'll see you whenever you come to class," Her professor dismissed them, turning back to her papers. The two awkwardly left the building, not saying a word to each other as they walked back to Rashir's Camaro that was sitting in the parking lot. Campus wasn't very busy so no one stopped them to talk. Most people were in class or still sleeping.

Rashir unlocked the doors and they both climbed in, fastening their seat belts when he started the car. "Where we going now?" He turned to ask Lourdes who was texting Aaliyah on her phone, asking her to pick up something for her on their travels.