chapter fourteen

Rashir was about to pass out

It was the morning after the game and he was beyond exhausted. They won the game the night before, but with a close score of 108-101 and to celebrate, he and the boys went partying at one of the frat houses on campus. Nico coaxed him into taking one too many shots and before he knew it, he was pretty drunk.

Now he was hungover and Coach Hill was not giving him a break. He had called an early morning practice as a punishment for the fights that had erupted at the game and the entire team was feeling his wrath. They had been running suicides for the past half hour and he was close to collapsing.

"Come on! Pick up the damn pace!" Coach Hill yelled at them when some of the freshmen on the team stopped to catch their breath. "Y'all had all this energy picking fights last night, what happened?" He mocked them as they continued running up and down the court.

Rashir's legs were burning as he pushed himself to run, Coach would grill him in front of the entire team if he stopped since he was the captain and was expected to 'set an example' for everyone.

"I ain't ever seen coach so mad bruh, look what you did," Nico grunted out from next to him.

"I ain't do nothing nigga," Rashir snapped and picked up his pace, trying to get away from him.

"Nobody told yo' stupid ass to pick a fight with Giovanni," Nico said, catching up.

"Perez! Martin! Less chatting, more running!" Coach yelled from the bleachers and they both rolled their eyes, grumbling curse words under their breath. They continued running in silence, refusing to stop until Coach blew his whistle, yelling that they were done. Rashir silently thanked god and bent over, putting his hands on his knees to try and control his breathing. Nico took a seat next to him when Coach turned his back but Mateo hit him in the back of the head and he quickly scrambled up.

"Alright, I'm letting y'all go but let this be a lesson. Don't ever pull the shit y'all did last night ever again. You embarrassed me, and this school. That shit was broadcasted on national TV, I have people questioning if I have my damn team in check. We are here to play basketball, not fight with people, is that understood?" He looked around and the team nodded. "I can't fucking hear you," He raised his voice.

"Yes Coach," They mumbled, sounding like children that were being punished.

"Good, you're dismissed." The team collectively shared a sigh of relief and began gathering their belongings to go to the locker rooms. "Not you Martin, be in my office in 5 minutes." Coach said over his shoulder as he walked to his office that was on the other side of the gym. Rashir winced, he knew he wasn't going to get off the hook that easy but one could hope.

"We'll wait for you in the car," Mateo told him as they passed him to walk to the locker rooms.

"Good luck." Nico snickered and slapped his back. Rashir sat down on the bleachers and greedily drank from his water bottle, pulling out his phone to check the time and see if he had any new texts.