chapter ten

Lourdes finished putting on her earrings, bobbing her head to the song that was currently playing through her speaker

Lourdes finished putting on her earrings, bobbing her head to the song that was currently playing through her speaker. She swiped on some lip gloss and stood up, dusting her lap off. She checked her outfit in the mirror and nodded, satisfied. She wore a brown Nike crew neck underneath a brown puffer coat, brown corduroy flared jeans, and Doc Martens. She put in gold chunky earrings and a couple of rings on her finger to accessorize. She had a mini purse to hold some of her belongings but she knew she would probably end up asking someone to hold some of her things for her because the purse didn't fit that much.

"Lourdes! Hurry up!" She heard Nala yell from the living room.

"Coming!" She yelled back and grabbed her phone to turn the music off. Nala and Lourdes still hadn't fully made up, they were just acting cordial around each other, much to Aaliyah's dismay. Since last night's argument, they hadn't spoken more than a few words to each other and neither of them wanted to be the first to apologize.

She closed her bedroom door and headed to the living room. As soon as she entered the living room, Nala saw that she was there and exited the room, slamming the front door behind her. Lourdes rolled her eyes and turned to Aaliyah who was waiting for her on the couch.

"Can't you just apologize already? This is stupid." She grumbled.

"No."

"Please? For me." Aaliyah smiled, guilt-tripping her with her dimples.

"Fine, I will later. Let's go." She held the door open for her and Aaliyah did a little happy dance.

"Yay!"

Lourdes chuckled and closed the door behind her, locking up. "Whose car are we taking?"

"Nala's, she's warming it up right now."

"I call shotgun." Lourdes abruptly yelled, resulting in a few weird looks from strangers.

"Really? You always get shotgun." Aaliyah whined as they entered the parking garage.

"Snooze you lose," Lourdes shrugged.

They speed walked to the car, it was freezing outside and both of them were shivering. Lourdes quickly regretted her decision of calling shotgun, she forgot she would be spending the 30-minute drive next to Nala who was giving her the cold shoulder.

She occupied herself for half of the ride on her phone, but she didn't want to waste her battery so she set it aside. She thought about turning the music up to avoid the awkward silence they were enduring but decided against it.

"I'm sorry." She randomly blurted out, startling everyone in the car, including herself.

Nala quickly eyed her in the driver's seat and skeptically asked, "For what?"

"I went off on you for no reason so, I'm sorry."

Nala was silent for a moment before she quickly murmured, "Forgiven."