chapter thirty-nine

It had been 3 days since Lourdes had seen Rashir

By the time she'd gotten out of the shower that day, he was gone, per her request. He'd called and facetimed her but she didn't answer any of them, only responding to his texts with one-word replies or dry responses. She wasn't even annoyed with him anymore, she knew that she was dragging this out farther than needed but she knew that the next time she'd see him, he'd be waiting for some sort of explanation. 

Now she was ending Chem class, gossiping with Malaya and telling her about her ordeal without revealing too many details.

"Girl just call him and talk to him, what's the worst that can happen?" Malaya advised her as they packed up their things. Class had just ended and Lourdes was eager to get home. She didn't have work today and this was her last class of the day, so she was looking forward to binge-watching Law and Order: SVU and munching on the snacks she'd bought at Whole Foods a couple of days before.

"I know, but what if he's mad at me now? We haven't had a proper conversation in 3 days," She explained.

"Then apologize and move on, tell him you're not ready to open up about whatever it is you're hiding and he'll understand. Just let him know that it's an issue within yourself and it has nothing to do with him," Malaya replied as they headed out of the door.

"Lourdes," She heard someone call and looked up, being met with Rashir waiting for her on the steps to the lecture hall.

"Oop! Good luck girl," Malaya smirked and scampered away, leaving her with a somewhat annoyed Rashir.

"Hey Ra–"

"It's been 3 days Lourdes," He straight-faced her, clearly upset and she winced at his tone.

"I know and I'm sorry, I've just been busy," She tried to defend herself but he wasn't having any of it.

"No you weren't, you were avoiding me," He countered and she rolled her lips into her mouth, not knowing what to say.

"I wasn't–"

"You was," He humorlessly chuckled, "But come on," He reached for her hand and began to walk to the parking lot.

"Wait, where are we going?" She asked, confused. She always parked in parking lot 5 and he knew this, but he was pulling her in the direction of parking lot 9.

"To the house, you spending the night," He replied and she stopped in her tracks, furrowing her brows and making him stop as well to look back at her. She was confused, he was just mad at her, now he was inviting her to spend the night?

"But my car is here–"

"I know, and I'm gon' drop you off tomorrow morning so you can get it. I'm not about to have you mad at me for 3 days without telling me what's wrong so we gon' fix it. Now come on," He said, tugging her softly in the direction of the parking lot. They walked in silence, she was too stunned to say anything. When they got to his car, he opened the door for her, letting her know that he wasn't too mad at her.