chapter thirty-five

Rashir was hiding out in his room while his mother and Nijhea were preparing Thanksgiving dinner

Rashir was hiding out in his room while his mother and Nijhea were preparing Thanksgiving dinner. Janiya was grounded since she was caught sneaking out—again, so she was banished to her room until it was time to come out for dinner. Patience was on her way to the apartment, and Rashir was relying on her to make sure this Thanksgiving wasn't a total disaster. Unfortunately, she wasn't bringing Grayson, or Carter because their father had made it clear that neither of them were welcome in their home. Patience barely wanted to come herself, but Rashir had practically begged her, so he didn't have to suffer on his own.

Rashir's father—Rashad, was supposed to be at work for the entire day but much to Rashir's dismay, his boss said he didn't need to come in today so he was eating with the family. Rashir had arrived at the apartment while his father was at the store, so he hadn't seen him yet but he wasn't looking forward to interacting with him at all. He knew he'd manage to make the entire evening about basketball and Rashir didn't want to deal with that. Lourdes and him had been posted on the Shaderoom once again, but this time it was a picture of them kissing so it was now confirmed that they were together. He knew his father would throw a fit if he saw the post, so he was trying to keep it under wraps, but it was only a matter of time before he found out.

Rashir laid down on his bed, replying to some texts when he felt the urge to Facetime Lourdes. Even though they'd only been apart for less than 24 hours, he was already missing being around her all the time. He wasn't prepared to come back from vacation and go from spending every day with her, to not seeing her at all. He decided he wanted to see her face, so he Facetimed her instead of calling her and waited for her to pick up. When the call connected, he smiled when her face filled up the screen. She looked a bit stressed, so he quickly became confused, but when she turned around to yell at someone and a kid responded, his questions were answered.

"Hi bubba, why are you calling? Is something wrong?" She asked and he shook his head.

"Nah, I just wanted to see your face,"

"You saw me last night," She rolled her eyes, taking a seat on something. He opened his mouth to reply but was cut off when she put her phone down and he was now looking at a ceiling.

"Hi Alex! What's up?" He heard her say and he instantly furrowed his brows at the sound of another guy's name. "You wanna say hi?" Lourdes asked.

She finally picked up the phone and Rashir sighed a breath of relief when there was a 4 year old looking back at him. He smiled at the sight of Lourdes holding a child on her lap.

"Hey little man," He said in a baby voice. Alex sucked on his thumb and shyly waved at him but quickly turned to bury his face into Lourdes's body.

"Sorry, he's a little shy," She laughed and took him off of her lap, "Why don't you go play with Bianca," She suggested and he silently nodded, hopping off of her lap to go trot to the living room where the rest of the children were. She turned back to Rashir who was watching the entire exchange.