chapter twenty-one

Lourdes was woken up by the sound of pots and pans banging in the kitchen

Lourdes was woken up by the sound of pots and pans banging in the kitchen. She groaned and closed her eyes again, enjoying the warmth of her bed. She was being blanketed by an extra source of heat and she sighed in satisfaction, extremely comfortable. She cuddled into the source of heat more, trying to preserve the warmth. When she wiggled around a bit, she froze when she realized the source of heat was another body. Her eyes shot open and she looked around the room, trying to remember what had happened last night. Turning her head slightly, she was face to face with Rashir, who was fast asleep and had his arms around her waist, cuddling with her.

She panicked for a moment, why was she cuddling with Rashir? And why did it feel nice? She had missed the feeling of waking up in someones arms, she hadn't cuddled with anyone since Myles and that was a long time ago. She looked at the time and saw it was 9 in the morning, meaning she'd only gotten a total of 5 hours of sleep since Rashir had woken her up at 3 and she wasn't able to go back to sleep until an hour after he got into bed with her. She was overthinking and it kept her up for a while, having him sleep an inch away from her wasn't helping at all.

She heard pots and pans clang again and Nala telling Aaliyah to "Be quiet," in a hushed voice. She needed to get out of her bed but she was scared Rashir would wake up while she was trying to escape his embrace and that would be incredibly awkward. She chewed on her lip, trying to figure out how she was supposed to get out of this one.

She had been hoping  Aaliyah and Nala would still be in their rooms so they wouldn't see Rashir leaving the apartment but apparently, luck wasn't on her side since they were awake somewhat early for a Saturday morning. Aaliyah was usually up by 10, and Nala didn't wake up until after 12. She was confused and surprised at the fact that they were awake at 9 in the morning, especially Nala considering she cussed them out for trying to wake her up at 11:30 once.

Carefully picking up Rashir's arm, she placed it on the pillow beside her, and quietly shuffled out of her bed. Her feet were freezing as soon as they touched the cold floor, so she looked around for her slippers, trying not to wake Rashir as she searched her room. She found them under her bead and quickly slipped them on, and opened her bedroom door to exit her room. She walked to the kitchen, surprised to find Nala making pancakes while Aaliyah sat at one of the stools, talking to her. Both of them looked up at the sound of her footsteps.

"Morning!" Aaliyah greeted her cheerily, "Do you want pancakes?" She pointed to Nala who was flipping a pancake on the stove.

"Uh, sure. Why are you guys up so early?" She asked them as she opened the refrigerator to get some apple juice.

"Gianna called me and said she wants all of us to go out to lunch at 12, so I woke up Nala," Aaliyah explained.

"You woke me up 2 hours early," Nala grumbled, "Did Rashir come over last night?" Nala turned to ask her, making Lourdes freeze with the apple juice in her hands, "He left his shoes, they're by the door," Nala gave her a suspicious look at her reaction and placed a pancake on a plate.