chapter sixteen

The group had finished all of the attractions except for the last trail

The group had finished all of the attractions except for the last trail. When they were about to get in the line for the last haunted trail, Nala complained that she wanted a caramel apple from one of the food stands and now they were waiting in the line to get snacks.

"Dayum, this shit is expensive as hell! Who the fuck is paying 5 bucks for a damn water bottle?" Nico said loudly, making Nala shush him. "What?" He looked at her with confusion.

"You're so loud," Nala's cheeks were pink as she hid her face from the people that were giving them weird looks. Lourdes laughed at the two, silently agreeing with Nico about the prices. Everything was expensive, including the fried oreos that she was contemplating getting but she ultimately decided against it. She was trying to cut back on sweets, while she was still going to the gym with Gianna weekly, she was gaining weight that she didn't want.

The group moved up in the line, Lourdes and Rashir were at the front talking about the slaughterhouse they had just finished when one of the employees yelled for the next person in line to order. They both walked up to get their order taken, Lourdes in front. She had recited what to say in her head twice, she hated ordering things at places and was always afraid she would mess something up.

"Can I just have a water please?" Lourdes asked, getting ready to pull out her wallet.

"Make that two, and can I get a bag of chips too?" He asked, reaching over Lourdes to hand the employee his card. Lourdes turned around to glare at him, annoyed that he had paid for her things but before she could chew him out, the employee handed her a water bottle and yelled for the next people waiting in line to come forward. They exited the line and walked to one of the bonfires that Aaliyah and Mateo were waiting at. Neither of them got anything to eat or drink even though Mateo asked Aaliyah 10 times if she wanted anything but she insisted she wasn't hungry or thirsty.

"I'm gonna pay you back," She grumbled from next to him as they walked, "You didn't have to do that," She hated when people paid for her things, it made her feel like they thought she was poor.

Rashir looked at her like she was crazy, "What? The water bottle? Lourdes, that shit was 5 dollars, chill out." He opened his bag of chips as they walked and popped one into his mouth.

"Yeah but-"

"But nothing, you not paying me back shit," He stated firmly and she quickly closed her mouth. They continued walking to the bonfire in silence, neither of them wanting to say anything else to each other.

"Hey, are Nico and Nala still in the line?" Aaliyah asked when the two sat down next to the couple.

"Yeah, they were right behind us though so they should be here in a second," She said while opening her water bottle. "You guys ready to go on the last trail?" She asked.

"I think we should be asking you that," Mateo smirked at her and she sucked her teeth. The group hadn't stopped making fun of how scared she was at every attraction, claiming she 'screamed like a banshee,'