chapter twenty

Lourdes was channel surfing on the TV in the living room, bored

Lourdes was channel surfing on the TV in the living room, bored. As soon as she had gotten home from Chick Fil A, she had taken a 5-hour nap and woken up at 8 pm. Now it was 11:30 and she wasn't tired. Aaliyah had told her goodnight hours ago and Nala was in the shower, winding down for the night. Lourdes didn't know what else to do, so she was in the living room, attempting to find something to watch on TV.

10 minutes of channel surfing, she gave up and opened the Netflix app on the TV, deciding she would watch a movie or series there. She looked at her watchlist, but she didn't see anything that interested her so she switched to Hulu. "I guess I'll watch Law and Order," she said to herself, clicking on the series and picking a random episode. 15 minutes into the episode, Nala came out of the bathroom, freshly changed and in her pajamas, venturing into the kitchen to get some water.

"Oh hey, I didn't know you were out here,"

"Yeah, I'm not tired so I'm just gonna watch Law and Order," She told her, gesturing towards the TV.

Nala put her hands on her chest, feigning shock, "Without me?"

Nala and Lourdes loved watching crime shows with each other. They stayed up to watch things like Forensic Files and other murder/serial documentaries. Aaliyah hated them, claiming they made her squeamish.

"You watched the Richard Ramirez thing without me!" She reminded her.

"You were busy,"

"You could have waited,"

"Man whatever, I'm going to bed. Goodnight," Nala turned on her heel, not waiting for a response and entering her bedroom. Lourdes chuckled to herself, turning her attention back to the TV where Olivia and Eliott were chasing a suspect.

Halfway into the episode, Lourdes got up to grab a snack from the kitchen when she heard a knock at the front door. Lourdes froze, who could possibly be knocking on the door at almost midnight? She contemplated ignoring it but the person knocked again, making her jump. She quickly scurried to the kitchen, grabbing a steak knife and put it behind her back, just in case. She crept to the door, still scared and trying to make as least noise as possible.

She stood on her tippy toes to look through the peephole and rolled her eyes when she saw who was standing on the other side of the door. She threw the knife on the table next to her and yanked the door open to reveal Rashir staring back at her with his hands stuffed in his pockets.

"What the hell are you doing here? It's late," She snapped. He was still in his basketball uniform with a jacket thrown over it. He winced at the tone of her voice, picking up on the fact that she was annoyed with him.

"Can I come in?" He asked.

"Why?"

"Lourdes." He deadpanned, giving her a look.