26. Jo

"Can you really be that stupid?" Hero comes towards me walking slowly.
I'm... I'm not stupid. "Hero, I just kissed a guy, I didn't even know who he was, and I was drunk!"
"Okay, okay. And while you were kissing that guy, Jessica was just giving me a blowjob in the bathroom."

I wake up suddenly and breathe heavily. I have to drink something, water. I try to make as little noise as possible by opening the fridge, but of course Hero wakes up and joins me in the kitchen.
"Hey..." he fills a glass of water. "Everything good? I heard you woke up."
I look at him thinking of something to invent. "Yes, I was thirsty."
He tilts his head to one side and watches my chest rise and fall quickly. "Jo, you never get up at night to drink, that's me. Tell me what's happening to you."
I sigh. "Who was that Jessica?"
He frowns. "A friend," he replies with a confused expression. "Why do you ask me that?"
"Can not I ask?"
He massages the back of his neck. "Yes sure..."
"How long have you known her? She has a slight English accent. "
"Well, we've known each other since we were 15," he smiles like a fool.
"And she was also one of your fuck buddies?" I venture to ask him.
"No! Of course not!" he exclaims in disgust.
Okay... "Tonight why did you go to her and not Anna? It would have been more appropriate."
"Jo, I haven't seen her in a long time and I knew she was here in LA and ..."
"Wait up. Jessica is the girl from the night club... What... why did you say 'it was a pleasure tonight'? " I ask with an air of annoyance.
"Jo, you don't trust me? Am I wrong?" he shakes his head.
Of course I don't trust him. "No, you're right, how could I ever trust you? After what you did?"
"Instead I trusted you! And you ended up kissing a... a stranger! You realize?" he runs his hands trough his hair and starts pacing back and forth.
"Yes, but you have done worse! Hero, how can you compare what you did to a stupid kiss in the club? Are you serious?" I'm tired of fighting all the time, really.
"I can not believe. You're never gonna trust me. You'll always bring this story up..."
"I trusted you... but look where it's taken me so far, trusting you! Look! I just kissed a... "
"Okay, and while you were just kissing that guy, I was fucking Jessica!"
"Fuck you, Hero!" I'm going to get my things and I'm going to Anna's now, it's eight in the morning, she'll be awake. "I'm tired of fighting all the time! We don't trust each other, what's the point like that? We have betrayed each other, and that's okay. Don't let yourself be seen again by me, until we are forced to work."
I literally slammed the door in him face, he deserves it. Kissing a stranger in a club is one thing, fucking a longtime friend is another.

I call an Uber and I get picked up in front of the San Martin Pharmacy, I'll go buy the pill while the taxi arrives.
Holy shit... today is Sunday, the pharmacies are closed... What the fuck am I doing now? The only hope is Anna, but if she doesn't have any, I'm lost. Or I could go and buy it tomorrow, but I'd rather get it as soon as possible...
The Uber has arrived and in a few minutes I'm at Anna's.
I ring the bell.
"Jo! Good to see you! Why are you here at eight in the morning?" she asks welcoming me into the house.
"Anna," I say expressionless and hug her.
"Everything good?" she looks at me confused.
I shut up for a few seconds, then I burst into tears in her arms. "I think... Hero and I have finally broken up... But it's better this way" I sniff.
"Oh... what happened this time?"
"I'll tell you later, now I need something more important. Do you... do you have a morning after pill here at home?" I close my eyes as I ask her.
"I don't know... maybe. Come with me."
We go upstairs and enter that bathroom that brings many memories to my mind. Anna opens a door, then another and another... nothing.
"Jo... I don't think I have any... I check here, it's the last place it could be."
I massage my temples in anxiety, getting pregnant right now was absolutely not in my plans.
"Yes! Found! I have two of them."
"Oh my God, thank goodness, thanks Anna!" she hands me the package and I run downstairs to pour a glass of water, swallow the pill and take a sip.
"Do you feel calmer now?" Anna smiles at me.
I smile back. "Yes, I don't know what to do without you, really."
"But then... you had unprotected sex. How was it then?" she asks curiously.
"Much more pleasant, for both of us, I think." I am not at all embarrassed to talk about these things with her, she is my best friend practically.
"Where is he now?"
"I left him at home, I hope he didn't go to... to that..."
"To who? What did I miss?"
"To Jess," I imitate Hero.
"Jess? And who is she? "
"I have to tell you everything in detail, you wouldn't understand."
"Go, I'm in."