28. Jo

I was about to wake Ash up around half past nine when I get a message. It's Anna: I've seen Hero. He says he didn't sleep with Jessica, I believe him. He also said he goes to London.
I don't know if to trust him, he lied to me so many times... Then, he goes to London? Is the situation so serious? If he didn't go with Jessica what reason does he have to be so far away? All this... for a stupid kiss.
Thank you, I reply to Anna's message.
Then she asks me if I woke Ash up and I tell her that I was just about to.
"Ash," I shake him gently, "good morning."
He slowly opens his eyes and when he sees me he jumps up and hugs me tightly. "Jo! I missed you!" he exclaims.
"You too! Come on, get up and have breakfast. What do you want to eat?"
He goes to put on his slippers. "Can you make pancakes?" he smiles.
I don't know if there are the ingredients... "Let's go downstairs, I'll see what I can do" I smile at him, taking his hand.
I love children, and they love me. This thing makes me very happy, if I were to become a mother I would be a success, I'm sure.
As we go down the stairs I feel a certain sense of vomit... shit.
"Ash... go downstairs, I'm coming," and I go back to the floor above.
I run to the bathroom and raise the toilet seat.
Gastric juices...
But why, I took the pill, what shouldn't go?
With three more coughs I throw up a little more. After a few minutes I feel like I'm done, I rinse my mouth and go back downstairs.
Asher looks at me worried. "Are you okay?"
"Yes. Come on, so, let's see what's in the fridge!" he's young but he's pretty clever and smart for his age, I don't want him to worry.
He smiles at me and sits at the counter.
I feel better already, it's weird. Anyway, the ingredients are all there.
"There's everything! Help me?"
Enthusiastic, he sits next to me on his knees in one of the high chairs on the counter. I take the scale and get out everything I need. He helps me weigh the flour, add the sugar to the egg whites as I whip them and mix the egg yolks with the butter and milk.
"Have a good time here, huh?"
We both jump in fright and laugh.
"Mom, we're making pancakes!" Asher exclaims.
"Okay, clean up later!" and she arranges the groceries in the various kitchen counters.
After half an hour the pancakes are on our plates and filled with blueberries, cream and maple syrup. A delight.
"Shit— Oh, sorry! I mean, you are two professional chefs!" Anna exclaims laughing.
"I have always a lot of fun with Jo."
Anna and I look at each other, smile and then I kiss Ash on the forehead. I love him immense.
"Ash, go get dressed, let's go for a walk in Santa Monica with Dad today."
"Can she also—"
"No no, I don't think that's the case, it's just the three of you, I'm not part of your family..." I interrupt him.
"Jo, what are you saying? You are part of us now, how can you refuse the invitation of such a sweet child?" she chuckles, clutching her chubby son cheeks.
"Pleeease" Ash gives me the sweet eyes.
"Okay, I agree!" in the end I give up.
"Go get dressed. Ash, I'll get your clothes ready, let's go."
They go to the child's room and I go upstairs.
Shit... my clothes are all in the apartment...
"Anna! How soon are we going out?" I ask, looking out from the stairs.
"An hour, more or less."
"I have to go get some clothes from my house... Where was Hero?"
"He had gone to the supermarket, I sensed that he would be around for a long time. Get my car if you want!"
Okay, so there is the green light. I run down and leave the house in a hurry.
I get in the car, start it and in a few minutes I'm at the apartment. Luckily this morning when I went out I got a copy of the keys...
I turn the key and enter.
What a mess... There are two dirty bowls in the sink and pancake batter all over the counter. Hero cooks great, but every time he messes up and gets annoyed with cleaning. Anyway, I don't care.
I go to the bedroom, open the wardrobe and choose something to wear. I get dressed quickly, I have the anxiety that he could come back at any moment.
When I go back to the kitchen, my instinct as a maniac for order and cleanliness tells me "Clean and fix everything", but I don't mind, I don't want him to notice that I've been here.
My beauty case is here too... As soon as he goes to London I will come and get all my things.
I open the bathroom door without thinking and... and I find him in front of me, with a towel wrapped around his waist and wet hair. Fuck...
I'm paralyzed.