56. Hero

The next morning, when I open my eyes Jo is already awake and has the phone in her hand, which is strange. And she smiles. What the fuck...?
"Good morning, how are you feeling?" I ask, stretching myself.
"Good," she says absently, intent on writing a message.
I walk over to see what she's doing and she's so into it that she doesn't even try to hide.
I rub my eyes a couple of times, it's not possible.
«Are you texting to Liam? Seriously?" I look her badly.
She doesn't calculate me, she doesn't listen to me either.
"Jo, are you listening to me?" obviously not. "Okay, fuck you," and I turn away to stare into space.
She puts the phone on the bedside table and as if nothing had happened she hugs me from behind and she whispers in my ear, "Good morning, what's wrong?"
I burst out laughing. "Did you get drunk in your sleep and I didn't notice?"
"What? No, but what are you talking about?" she asks confused before kissing my cheek.
"Oh, please. Is Liam texting you jokes? Let me understand," I say irritably without turning around.
"No, he just wanted to know how I felt, that's all. Hero..."
I won't let her continue, "And then, when did he give you the number?"
She sighs. "Actually, he never gave it to me, he texted me this morning out of nowhere."
"Perfect, he's also a stalker then, fine."
How the fuck has he got her number?
"No, or he just asked his mother. Clara has my number, it's simple," she says annoyed and she turns away.
Shit, that's right.
"Okay, but I don't like—" I am interrupted by the vibration of my cell phone.
I can't believe... Jessica.
"Who is it?" Jo asks as she approaches me.
"Jessica, weirdly..."
It's really weird that she texts me and the message says: Hey, Hero. What do you think if one of these nights we went out for four?
Out for four?
"Out for four?" Jo repeats. She then she takes the phone from my hands and types: ??? Who?
Jessica is typing... Me, you, Jo and Liam Wilson, you should know him.
I hate the order in which she wrote the name... and then Liam?
"What's Liam got to do with it? Write it down," I tell Jo, who does it immediately.
The two of us are dating, Jessica replies.
Jo and I look at each other in surprise, then she coughs and bursts out laughing. "I do not believe it!" she exclaims. "I can not believe!"
"Jessica and Liam... it's pathetic," I honestly commented.
"Exact! You have to answer... okay, yes."
She quickly types another message: Okay, okay tonight?
"Tonight?!" tonight?!
"Mhm."
"But you... how are you feeling?"
"Good! I told you yesterday was just a chill," she shrugs.
Well, if she's up to it then it's fine.
Another message from Jessica: That would be perfect! At six o'clock under your house?
Me (Jo): Yeah, that's fine. See you tonight!
This is very strange... Liam appears and Jessica shows up again. Liam seemed to have flirted with Jo somehow and then dates Jessica. Jessica texts to me like this, as if nothing had happened... What the fuck is wrong with everyone?
"Everything good?" Jo asks me, seeing me confused.
"Yes, it's just that this thing is strange," I answer absently.
"What?"
"Jessica, Liam..."
"Why?"
"I don't know, but this whole thing stinks..."
It smells like fucking burnt.
Jo shrugs again and doesn't express herself. I don't think she knows what to think either.