Chapter 68

"How is he? Is he okay?" I walked into the room.

"Spencer." The nurse said pushing me back out of the room where Toby was sitting sideways off the bed.

"You need to understand that this happens."

"What happens? What's going on?"

She pushed me back from entering the room but I shoved past her.

"Toby." I ran into the room and knelt next to the bed. But he shot up and ran to the corner of the room and curled up into a little ball. Fear was pouring in his eyes.

"What's going on?" I asked the nurse.

"Come on." She helped me up and escorted me out of the room while two doctors rushed to Toby's side trying to calm him down and back into reality.

She sat down next to me in the waiting room and explained the situation.

"Once he woke up the doctor asked him a simple question, that she asked all the patients once they wake up. Do you remember who did this to you?"

"And he thinks I did it." I buried my face in my hands.

"That's just what he thinks now but it can change over time."

I stood up and walked toward the double doors.

"Just do what you can."

She nodded and walked in the other direction as me.

I drove back to my apartment. Laid down on the bed and cried myself to sleep.

I woke up to banging on my front door. I wrapped a robe around me and answered it.

"Hey Spence what's going on?" Hanna asked just standing in front of me with curiosity.

"Oh nothing much, I was just about to put a new doormat out that said go away."

"Well then, someone's cranky. I heard Toby woke up." She skipped inside and shut the door behind her.

"Ya, but he thinks I shot him and his doctors don't think I should come near him."

She dropped the plate of cupcakes she had in her hands on the floor.

"Great now who's going to clean that up?" I snapped at her.

"He thinks what! You've got to be shitting me!"

"Um...I'm really not and since you dropped these could you clean them up."

"Spencer! I'm talking about your boyfriend and your worried about your apartment being clean!"

"Yes Hanna, I am. Because I'm not allowed to see my boyfriend. Because his biggest fear is me. If he lays eyes on me he runs to the other side of the room and curls up into a little ball. He has this look of fear in his eyes like I'm about to kill him. I can't handle that." I yelled at the blonde.

"Now..I'm gonna go take a shower while you clean this up."

She grabbed a roll of paper towels and started smearing icing around on the hardwood floor. Eyeing me as I walked into the bathroom.