Chapter 42

Toby's POV:

We walked to the front of the resturant I insisted on paying and she chose not to argue which to me was surprising.
We got back in my truck and I drove her back to her new house.
"So...." She said shifting uncomfortably.
"So....." I said back.
"I'll miss you."
"Same." I said looking straight out the windshield and gripping the steering wheel.
"This is why I wanted you to move on."
I looked at her.
"So I wouldn't have to face the hard tears and pain of every single goodbye we had. God." She plastered her hand to her forehead.
"How could I be so stupid?"
"Spence what are you saying?"
"Toby I."
"No."
"We shouldn't have gone out last night. I should have stayed like I was told."
"Until what? You graduate here with out any of your friends by your side. Or mom marries you off to some rich creep of a lawyer. You really think I'm going to let that happen?"
"Toby. I'm sorry you have to hear this but you do." She took ahold of both of my hands.
"I regret what we did last night and today. You shouldn't have come here."
"Spencer.." I warned.
"No let me finish this time......
I want you to move on from me. To someone else. To end this because if we're together it will just keep ending in broken hearts. I'm sorry. You are my one true love, but it's over for good. Now." She nodded.
"Spence please."
"Tobes, I want you to close your eyes."
"What?"
"Close your eyes." She whispered tears brimming in hers.
I shut my eyes tight and I felt her soft lips touch mine.
"Now, I want you to count backwards from twenty."
I just nodded.
"Twenty, nineteen, eighteen, seventeen, sixteen, fifteen, fourteen, thirteen, twelve, eleven, ten, nine, eight, seven, six, five, four, three, two, one." I opened my eyes and she was gone.
"No, no, no. This isn't how it's supposed to end. We're supposed to get married and have kids then grow old together."
I put the truck in drive.
"I am going to find another girl. See how much jealousy grows between the two."