The Thumb

I helped Fry pack up after breakfast. Me and Newt were going to see Gally after I had finished cleaning up. I was on dish duty but It was the least of my problems. The kitchen was quiet, no one dared to talk, no one had the strength or anything to talk about. 

The walk to the Medical hut was one of the longest walks of my life, slowly but surly we got there. "I'll go first" it was the first thing I had said in hours, suddenly the silence of the morning was broken by me. "Ok greenie I'll wait out here" Newt scratched the back of his head and pushed a smile onto his face, I tried to push one onto mine but it came out as a very subtle, very small smile that was almost unrecognisable. 

I walked slowly into the hut hoping I didnt see a anger filled Gally sat on the bed about to kill me. I turned the corner to see him lying there, no signs of pain or anger so I took a step closer. 

I reached the chair that Alby had sat in the first time I was in the Glade. I touched one of the arms of it then took a seat, Gally hadn't said anything he just was lying looking peaceful. "Hey Gally its Taylor, how are you" my voice was shaky but I didnt know if it was the nervous or the tears. 

He didnt respond like he had no clue that I had spoken. I reached my hand out to touch his arm. My hand hit his hand and I held onto his thumb, it was the size of three of my fingers but I felt an instant calmness come over me. 

I let out a breathe of relief, he twitched as I did so "Gally are you ok" I leaned closer to him still holding his hand. His head whipped round and he eyes clicked on mine, madness seemed to fill them a crazy you couldn't describe then his hand let go of mine and grabbed the neck of shirt and he pulled me to right up to his face, suddenly the calmness I had felt only a moment ago had faded into fear for my life. He was mumbling under his breathe, just words no sentences then he screamed "YOUR NOT MENT TO BE HERE"