The Battle

We ran along the corridors until Thomas came to a sudden stop. He shushed us all as he looked round the corner. "Is there a griever" Chucks cheeks were bright red from all the running. Thomas looked round the corner fear covering his face. "Yup" he pressed himself against the wall. Gasps and mutters where exchanged around the pack. "Alright Chuck I want you to take this guard it with your life, Teresa you go with him" Thomas handed Chuck the griever part as Teresa began to tie her hair up. Thomas looked at me "Taylor stick with the pack, got it" I nodded. 

Thomas turned round the fear draining from his face. "Alright we stay close. We stick together, we get through this. We get out now or we die trying" Thomas looked at us all individually. We were ready. I got my spear and knife at the ready. Time to kill some bloody grievers. "LETS GO" Thomas shouted as we all ran round the corner shouting at the griever that was stood at the end of the hall. 

We charged at it like a pack of wolves. Spears being jabbed in every direction. The griever was now hanging of the side of the thin path way. A memory popped into my head, falling into the Maze. I tried to push it to the back of my mind, I couldn't waist my energy thinking about an old memory but as much as I tried to push it away the more powerful it got. No, no focus. Kill. The. Griever. 

I was snapped back into gear. Chuck was out of the pack, dangling over the edge. Shit what the hell. I was about to run after him when I saw Teresa grab him. That girl had one job and she almost couldn't do that. Chuck was safe now time to kill the griever. Several stabs of the spears and he was off the cliff. I hadn't realised until now how many people we had lost. A strain hit my heart but I knew the battle wasn't over so I couldn't let it get to me. 

Teresa and Chuck came running back followed by two grievers. Shit. Ok game mode. They attacked the front of the group. Mihno was stood beside me sweat covering him. I put all my effort into killing the grievers but I was already tired. Stop. Taylor stop thinking like that. Focus. Kill the grievers. 

The slabs of stone moved behind us. Teresa and Chuck ran ahead to unlock it. The plan was working. We slowly backed up as the grievers got a bit too close. Gladers were getting ripped away left and right. Our pack was smaller now. We can't afford to lose anyone. "Thomas theres a code eight numbers" Teresa shouted from behind us. My brain started to think of codes, of anything but I came up short. 

"Eight sections to the Maze" Thomas began muttering to himself but he was making a lot of sense "Mihno what's the sequence" he turned to Mihno. "What" Mihno crocked out attacking grievers left and right. "The sections of the maze what's the sequence". 

"7......1.....5......2-"Mihno stops to think. Newt yells something then a griever jumps down landing on Mihno. Panic strikes. Save Mihno. We need him. I threw all my strength into fighting of this griever. We can't lose Mihno. With each jab I felt myself lose more and more energy. 

Jeff ran in. He stabbed his spear through the grievers head. Nice one Jeff. Mihno crawled away with the most terror I have ever seen in him but Jeff, his spear couldn't get free. No, no, Jeff. I watched with horror in my eyes as the griever started to eat Jeff. "Jeff" Winston shouted at the top of his lungs Frypan held him back. 

We slowly inch backwards, soon we were meant to step up into a tunnel. I being the stupid one didnt realise the tunnel was so high and tripped up. Someone caught me and helped me stand. Not a good time to be clumsy. I pull myself together. Focus, I tell myself over and over. "Mihno what's the sequence come on" Chuck shouts from the end of the tunnel. 

"Ah, 6.....4....8....3. Thats it" Mihno shouts from right beside me. The grievers are getting closer and seemingly more powerful. One grabs Newts stick and snaps it clean in half. We all through our spears at them for one last hurrah. Before the slabs which I thought were just walls start to close. They grit down closing faster than you would think, crushing grievers while the get closer to us. 

One comes charging for us luckily Thomas didnt let go of his spear yet and launches it in the grievers eye. its stunned for a second while the wall slams down splattering griever guts everywhere. 

A moment of silence passed before the door begins to close. We are sat in complete darkness. Not knowing if theres another cruel trick or task waiting for us. Then we walk out into a hallway. Pipes are along the ceiling along with a light bulb every few feet. Theres a door at the end, an out of place glowing green sign is above it simply saying EXIT .

I break the silence first. "They've got to be kidding" I roll my eyes while looking around the group. Newt catches my attention and shrugs his shoulders. Thomas walks into the room as we all follow.