The Chance

I was obviously furious at Teresa and wanted to be alone. Slowly after a few minutes the anger began to deplete. I sat on one of the old rusty chairs and pulled my knees up to my chest just staring out onto the moutons of sand then I heard the door open I looked to my right to see Thomas stood in the door way. 

"Hi Taylor" he smiled and sat down next to me "Hey Thomas" I pushed a smile onto my face and stared back out to the sand "I heard you and Teresa fighting" Thomas broke the silence and pulled me out of my thoughts "Yeah I guess we were a bit loud huh" I pushed a laugh and looked at him "I didnt chose Teresa" He looked me in the eye "I know Thomas. I mean who would" laughing was easier this time. 

"Don't get me wrong she is my friend and I care for her but I didnt chose her. I mean I care for you in the same way" He smiled and pushed his shoulder into mine "Some people just aren't meant to get along like me and Teresa" I looked back out. The sun was setting making all the sand turn a golden colour and sparkle. "Taylor, I don't think I could chose between you and Teresa" he stopped looking at me and looked out to the sun set "I know I could pick between you and Teresa" I laughed and looked back at him. 

The sun lit up his face in a golden shimmer. It enhanced everyone of his features making him look superhuman. He smiled while still staring out onto the sun set. "Do you think we will ever get out of this place" I looked at him. "I don't know, I mean I hope so but what if we do and theres nothing left" he looked down at the floor "Of corse there will be something to go back to" I spoke almost trying to convince myself more than Thomas. "If you had the chance to leave would you" he turned and looked at me. I looked down at the floor then out to the sunset "Yes, because although this has happened to our world I would life a happy life knowing that I wasn't torturing people everyday" I took his hand "Would you" he looked down at our hands before answering "I don't know" he paused returning his gaze to the sun "As much as I don't like it here I don't think I could just get up and leave. This place has doubled as a home for most of our lives.  What I'm trying to say is that I would want to leave but I would want to have a plan and shelter and take everyone I could with me" he smiled and looked back at our hands. 

"Thomas always thinking about other people" I smiled looking into his eyes "What can I say, it just comes naturally" he laughed. Thomas's laugh was something that could light up a room. It was the laugh that was contagious. A laugh that you could here from miles away. "Come on its dinner, Tonights your favourite" He smiled and stood up not letting go of my hand "Ok but keep me away from Teresa I am pretty sure I could rip her face of if I see her" I smiled and turned my head. He laughed and nodded "I will keep her out of your way" he smiled, squeezed my hand and dropped it while opening the doors.