Chapter 38

Lincoln's P.O.V

I watch over my clan with tired eyes. They were quite literally in shambles.

I couldn't say that I didn't understand why. A few hours ago, Diablos had been here, in their new home without any warning signs that would've at least allowed them a chance to prepare. 

It was unnerving at the very least.

But what made it almost tolerable for them all was Kalem. Though my love wasn't much better than them, sitting restlessly beside me unlike the rest of our clan who filled the dining room sharing nervous glances and fearful whispers while they stood, he at least still had a smile on his face. 

Even though he shared their same emotions of unease, his smile made it seem like he knew that everything was going to be okay. And that had an effect on them all, it made them less jumpy, a little calmer and I could kiss him for it.

But the signs of nervousness were still there, like how he was biting his nails. I don't think I'd ever seen Kalem bite his nails before, but that was all he was doing now.
Nibbling and nibbling on those little fingernails while he looked around at all the faces of our clanmates, faces that were joyous ones only a night ago.

Diablos just had to show up today of all days.

Just as I was enraged by it, I couldn't help but acknowledge how well calculated his actions were. Even if he'd come just to waste my time, the fact that he'd been in the castle in some form still worked to strike fear and unease amongst the clan. 

It brought about anxious thoughts of him returning at any point, of his eyes always been on them, studying them, or the fear that he'd return in person next time. And when you added that on to the fact that he'd appeared only a day after they'd come to the castle, it was quite frankly a brilliant move.

But it wasn't Diablos. Diablos didn't scheme and he certainly didn't think ahead, he acted and he acted with force. Just as he'd done at the start of all this when he'd sent those under him to attack me. 

That told me one thing above all else I'd learned through our conversation, something I'd have to wait to discuss with Malcolm once we were in private. Because if I was right, which I was sure I was, then one of our less favourable probability of events would soon be coming to pass.

But we had planned for all probabilities and so I found it challenging to be worried.

Though I couldn't think of that now. Right now, I had to pull my clan back together so that we can continue moving forward, and at a quicker pace than before. But more importantly, so that I could check on Kalem the way I knew he needed me to. 

I hadn't had a moment alone with him since Diablos appeared and so I hadn't been able to quell his worries very much. A moment in private would do him, and me, some good before we got back to things.

Standing to my feet, I squeeze Kalem's shoulder gently before I look to the rest of my clan, and raise my hand. Silence falls over the room instantly.

Not another word is spoken or whispers made as everyone sits down and looks to me. 

A ripple of pleasure rushes through me as I look over my clan, a feeling that I'd forgotten to be so pleasurable, so right. When I was still under their control - the witches who'd made and abused us - I used to feel this sometimes, on rarely fleeting occasions. 

This sensational rush of power and calm that ran through every part of me, like some secret tucked away thing that commanded obedience but only came from respect.

In some ways I'd loved it and in others I'd hated it.

It always felt so wrong to love controlling others when, at the time, they had no choice, just as I had. I thought it sick and perverse, but here it wasn't done without their consent. It wasn't forced on through some evil witches' intent.