Chapter 44

Kalem's P.O.V

"Kalem,"

Something was trying to wake me up.

"Kalem,"

Something was trying to take me away from the pixies I was flying with so that something was very evil.

"Go away," I grumble, wanting nothing else than to keep flying with my dream pixie friends.

The evil thing chuckles, "Sweetheart, it's time to get up."

Okay so maybe it wasn't an evil thing. It was just my master and the last thing he was, was evil.

Lincoln was too sweet to be evil.

"I'm still sleeping," I mumble while being sure to keep my eyes shut tight even though the pixies and all the sparkling wings were long gone now.

"Unless you've suddenly started talking in your sleep, you are not still sleeping," Master replies as his voice comes closer and closer, "now wake up for me, love, it's a very special day."

"What could be so special it takes me away from pixies?" 

Opening one of my eyes, I turn to glare at the man who said he loved me every day, but I wasn't too sure about that at this moment.

He took me away from my dream about pixies! 

Lincoln smiles at me, giving me one of his special, gentle smiles that were extra handsome and made my insides squirm about in my stomach. He was seated right next to me on the edge of the bed with his arms planted firmly on either side of me and studying me with eyes that were almost bright and strangely excited.

Master was rarely ever excited.

"Well," he draws, leaning down to press a quick kiss to my lips. I lean up for more but he draws away too quickly. While I pout, his smile grows even more, "it's your birthday and that's a very special day to me." 

Birthday.
My birthday.

It was my birthday.

Master stares at me and I stare at him.

We keep staring at each other while the word 'birthday' keeps spinning and spinning in my head while joy starts to bubble up inside of me.

"It's my birthday," I whisper slowly.

"Yes," Lincoln replies with a giddy smile.

"It's my special day to get lots of gifts and spend the day doing all my favourite things," I say as I sit up, trying to get a grip on the world as my heart tries to explode. "It's my special day, my birthday!" I repeat and Master nods. 

"Your first birthday," he reminds me and then something really does burst on the inside and I scream.

"It's my first birthday!" I shout way louder than I meant to but Master didn't seem to mind, his smile only grew extra big like mine.

I'd never had a birthday before and I'd been waiting and waiting until it was my special day to celebrate the day Master saved me and it was finally here!

While I get caught in the sheets and squirm so much I almost fall over, Master laughs and quickly gathers me in his arms where he hugs me so tight I felt like we were glued together. 

"Kalem," he whispers, still smiling from ear to ear as he takes my beaming face in his hands, "Happy Birthday."

I dive forward and take Master down with me, hugging him so tight he had absolutely no hope of escaping me.