Chapter 57

DOUBLE UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A little something to make up for all the fucking cliffhangers, I promise there won't be any more horrible ones❤️🙃

---------------

Kalem's P.O.V

I did something bad. Something really, really bad.

I couldn't remember every part of it, not that I wanted to. All the parts I could see, the fire, the blood and the screams, seemed like a horrible dream, but it wasn't. It was real, and it was because of me.

It had to be me because nobody else was here, and I was kneeling on the only patch of red sand that remained from the desert that was now entirely black.

The sun had risen, but I could barely see it through all the rising smoke. The thick clouds were full of ashes that I prayed didn't belong to anyone good. I prayed and prayed, but the smell of burnt flesh was everywhere.

I told myself that the clan escaped and that they'd all gotten away before I... they had to because these newly scorched lands had no life I could sense, no little traces I could feel in the wind or call on.

Nothing was alive for miles a-and I'd done that.

I drop my watery gaze back down to Lincoln, his body still limp in my arms. Master never looked or felt so small as he did now. He'd always been so strong and confident, but now there was all this drying blood, and he was so pale.

The only thing that stopped me from blacking out again was the thing that brought me back, the tiny, barely-there flutter behind his eyes that I'd spotted through the darkness.

That movement, that sign of life, had saved me.

It was small, I knew, but it was something, and right now, it was the only thing I had. It was the only thing I had left to hold me together because if Lincoln was really gone... I was sure what I'd done here would only be the beginning.

But that wouldn't happen. I wouldn't let that happen. I just had to make sure Lincoln was okay, and then I'd be okay.

Spreading wide before I can even ask them to, my wings ready themselves behind me as I get to my feet. I'm careful with Master, holding him tight but with all the care he always used for me.

"We're going to be okay," I whisper to him in a promise I wouldn't break before I take to the skies.

I force myself to keep my wet eyes up, to look to the clouds instead of the grounds so I don't see it all. It would hurt too much.

I could hurt later after Lincoln was okay, and he would be.

I'd make sure that Master was safe and protected so that nobody would ever touch him again. Nobody

————————

Today was day three, and Lincoln still hadn't opened his eyes, but he would.

He would because he promised to never leave me alone in this world, and Lincoln always kept his promises.

The wound had healed. It shut itself tight with new skin, leaving only a scar, but I couldn't look at it, or else it made my heart go cold again. I couldn't sleep either because whenever I closed my eyes, the big shredded hole still flashed before them, and it was like it was happening again.

But that was okay, I needed to watch over Master anyway.

I made sure to give Master lots of my blood, ever single day. Blood helped make vampires stronger, but Master wasn't getting any stronger.