Chapter 32

Lincoln's P.O.V

There were some things in this world one learned not to comment on. Things that would only invite deeper conversations if verbally approached, things that would require offering or receiving counselling, neither of which being something I was fond of.

Staying silent was a greater tool than many recognised it to be.

I never found any issue in remaining quiet for situations that didn't directly affect me, but in this particular case, I found exceedingly difficult not to comment on the piece of jewellery adorning Malcolm's usually naked neck.

There was nothing strange about the silver chain other than it was for more modest than the items Malcolm preferred to pretty his body with when the interest rose. He'd always found his way to rich jewels and precious gems that would compliment his deep skintone and pull already drawn eyes deeper.

A thin silver rope chain did not scream Malcolm, not even in the slightest. But beyond that and the fact that it rested a little higher on his neck than any chain should, there was no reason for me to be so aware of the decoration.

And yet I couldn't draw my eyes from it.

"Would you like something to drink?" Kalem offers as he moves around the kitchen, oblivious to my mind's newest distractions while he rushed to serve our friends.

"Water's fine young one," The elf comments kindly, his smile making Kalem beam brightly as he took a glass from one of the cupboards. Without having to be told, Kalem pops over to get Malcolm a blood bag which he shakes a little before he sets it before him.

"Thanks, K," Malcolm replies making Kalem beam happily before he rejoins me at my side, offering me a blood bag I hadn't even realised he'd snatched for me.

"Thank you, love," I say pressing a kiss to Kalem's warming cheek before I take the cold pouch from his fingers.

Kalem all but swoons from all the attention and praises for doing well and I can't help but chuckle as I pop open the cap and take a sip, decidedly choosing to leave the issue of Malcolm's apparent collar alone for now.

Sometimes silence really was the best option.

"How have things been for you?" The elf asks, being sure to keep his eyes kind even as he refocused all of his attention on Kalem, "any changes since you've returned home?"

"Nuh-uh," Kalem answers as he snuggles into my side, pressing a kiss to the free skin of my arm, "I'm being really good and I'm super happy since Master's home."

Aias smiles back at Kalem before he looks at me with golden eyes narrowed to slits while he ran an absent mind over Malcolm's arm, silently questioning if the words were true. I give him a discreet nod, allowing him to relax once more before he looks back to a beaming Kalem.

"Do you think we can talk more about our situations today?" He asks with that calming tone he reserved for Kalem, it wasn't annoying but the fact that it came from the pretentious elf annoyed me.

Before Kalem can answer, I cut in with an enquiry of my own which I'd been withholding for long enough, "before we do that, I'd like to have a conversation with you."

Malcolm's slurping on his blood bag turns loud while Kalem tenses in my hold, both their eyes growing wide with surprise as they look between the elf and I. It was no secret that we didn't favour one another's company.

I harboured no hatred for the living stick nor any other particularly strong emotion. It was more so a constant annoyance that came with the territory of being around a being so proud and confident in everything he graced with a glance.