Chapter 31

Please read: I know a lot of people didn't get notifications last chapter since Wattpad is having major issues at the moment. So if you didn't know, there's a chapter before this one I uploaded like two days ago.

Also please let me know if you can't vote or comment, through private message or on my message board. 

------------------

Lincoln's P.O.V

Elven. Kalem was elven.

No matter how often I repeated the words to myself, both from my mouth and in my mind, the words never seemed to make complete sense. The words made me want to laugh with how ridiculous it all seemed, but it wasn't ridiculous, it was reality - our new reality.

Throughout the many weeks where we'd all searched for what Kalem truly was, all whilst trying to craft the foundations of my clan to be, I'd prepared myself to accept whatever the outcome came to be with open arms, and I had, but I'd never once placed elf on that spectrum of possibilities.

I'd honestly thought him to be some mix of fairy and something else from this realm, not something from an all-together separate realm, and certainly not the elven one at that.

Elves may have been the strongest of the known supernatural species, but they were also one of the foulest species known throughout all the realms. And that was solely due to their sour personalities that they made no effort to curb when it came to other species, so easily they found fault in every and anything that did not originate from their realm. They were also undeniably powerful and ahead of us all, though many didn't like to admit it, that raw stroke of power they all possessed is what also made them incredibly dangerous.

Placing Kalem on the same plain as Malcolm's unruly, holier-than-though elf, seemed illogical to my troubled mind.

Kalem's comatose shifting takes me from my mind's rambles as he tightens the hold he had on my right hand and brought himself even closer to me so that he was laying on top of me completely. His body releases a content hum when I give him a light squeeze in response, with that he relaxes into me and speedily drifts back to sleep.

Studying his relaxed features, I take the offered moment to enjoy Kalem's unmatched beauty. He wasn't handsome or pretty, he was beautiful, both inside and out. His warm hazel eyes were always curious and full of that pure type of excitement that got snuffed out with age or insight into the world's horrors, somehow Kalem managed to retain it. It hid beneath his long lashes like a sweet secret he only gave to those who earned it.

I'd often described him as angelic, with his creamy, unblemished skin that was soft to the touch, his slightly pouty lips that could unravel the purest of intentions and his high cheekbones that seemed to be just a little unnatural.

Kalem, to me, was always some sweet, kind ethereal thing that was far too good for anything in this world, I'd seen him as my angel, but I'd never envisioned that my words would turn out to ring so true.

Not only elven, but an angel and a demon - a Nyphilim.

The species wasn't new to me, though I'd known them in general terms as Nephilim which wasn't too far in terms of translations from what Malcolm's elf had provided as a name. I'd read of them in passing literature but the information was more so bits and pieces, scraps with blurred lines and even blurrier details - nothing concrete.

Scriptures from the Holy Bible marked them as workers of God, others named them giants and few fallen angels. There were different versions and with none to be found living in this realm, it'd turned to be fiction at best. But there was a central point if one could even call it that, one point where the most links could be found, and that was in historical texts which marked the species - in this realm - as one that laid between a human and an angel.