Chapter 56

DOUBLE UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm just putting this here for those who maybe missed it, this is the 2nd part of the double update so be sure to read chapter 55 first.

AND COMMENT!!!!!

------------

Lincoln's P.O.V

I'd always thought that I was a creature of darkness, born from death with the inflicted purpose to hurt others, but I saw now that that wasn't darkness, only a sad mirroring of it.

What raged around me now; this was true darkness.

Like a storm let loose, the wicked, suffocating force blotted out the skies and the moon, leaving only its source to be glimpsed above through flickers of the tormenting winds.

Something vile had arrived, and it looked like my love.

I knew deep down that it couldn't be, that there was no possible reality where this menacing creature with a face carved by torment could be my sweet Kalem, but between those harsh lines were features I recognised, even if they were now encased with hatred.

It looked quite simply like a demon had risen from the pits of hell.

With something akin to horror cast upon me, I find myself unable to move as I watch jagged, mammoth wings that blended into the night, spread wide before their owner fell to the Earth hard enough to shake it to its core.

This creature had brought the endless darkness that now plagued the dessert, making it impossible for me to spot a thing beyond the being in front of me that was most certainly not of this world.

The war became a quiet thing, forced to the back of my mind along with the threat Diablos had posed only seconds ago, all of it now becoming inconsequential as I watched the demon straighten and settle its repulsed eyes on me.

The shell around my heart almost cracked against the hope that slammed into me. It wasn't Kalem. I knew in the depths of my soul that this was not my Kalem since the man I loved had a permanent light in his eyes that this creature did not possess in its obsidian gaze, but for a moment, I wanted to believe that it was.

It had only been a handful of days since I'd last seen my love, but by the Gods, it felt like decades, and my soul was starved for even a morsel of him. A scrap that I saw now in this harsh, calloused face that was too close a mirror to my love.

But as I knew it would be, the hope was crushed before it had a chance to grow as those dark eyes filled with wrecked disdain that had the right corner of its lips curling upwards into a nasty sneer.

"Yû árp malpt! Rǎn!"

My skin instantly prickled as a decidedly monstrous voice filled the air, just as cold and distorted as the being in front of me. The cold wasn't something I could feel physically, and yet, I suddenly felt chilled to the bone.

Whatever had just been said, I was willing to bet it wasn't anything pleasant, so I forced myself up to my feet, remembering myself as the massive creature stepped toward me with unmistakable rage.

It's that look that propels my instincts back to life so that I can face this new foe that had entered the playing field.

I hadn't a clue how exactly I was going to do that since I didn't know what this person was, but any beginnings of a measly plan are squandered as a flash of light breaks through the never-ending darkness.

Bright, golden light shines down from the opening that mirrors what I imagined the heavens to look like if they opened their gates. It filled my vision, almost blinding me as something escaped from them and swooped down towards the creature and me.