Chapter 1

Picture of Lincoln

Lincoln's P.O.V

I let my eyes open, tired with the faint slumber I'd allowed myself for a few months. If I fell any deeper, I'd miss a couple of decades.

Not that it mattered, but I preferred to keep myself aware. It'd be a bitch to wake up and find myself chained down with little humans pricking at me, again.

That was probably the one fear which all vampires shared, falling too deep into a slumber, only waking to find you'd missed a couple of centuries. 

Time was the most valuable resource for vampires. Extending it for as long as possible was all that really mattered. 

I didn't really care. I was stuck on this earth whether I liked it or not. I didn't even have the luxury of falling that deep into slumber.

I wish I had the luxury.
I'd never wake up.

I didn't bother trying to convince myself to get out of bed. There was nothing waiting for me out there. I had no duties, no tasks to complete, no one to hunt - I already killed those I needed to. There was nothing to do. So instead of doing something so useless as leaving my bed, I rolled over and picked up my phone.

Vampires were without a doubt, the most 'normal' species in the supernatural world. 

We didn't chant weird spells or turn into beasts during the night, spend our lives haunting others or pursuing a disturbing deep connection with nature. Out of all the various species that'd spawned over the generations, vampires were the closest thing to humans. 

Probably because the majority of us were desperate to be human again.

I couldn't relate to that want, that incessant need to be something I once was like the rest of my kind did.

I didn't remember what it felt like and naturally didn't crave it. It helped that I naturally despised the unknown, I had no cravings to explore that side of life or pretend to encompass it. 

Only the foolish pursued such fantasies, the foolish and the hopeless.

The only reason I was involved in this new world's creation known as social media, was to keep myself up to date with the world. I couldn't expect to survive in it if I didn't understand it. 

So I spend a good set of hours familiarizing myself with the world I'd awoken to. New presidents, more death, more chaos - no surprise there. Then I stumbled upon this thing called 'memes'. 

Turns out memes are the humans' greatest invention since porn.

I pull the sheets from my body, deciding a bath wouldn't be so bad but quickly develop a frown when I place my feet down in a thin layer of dust. My eyes dart around the space to find all furnishing coated in a similar layer that represented the world that had continued to move one without me. I itch at my brain, trying to remember the last time I gave this place a good cleaning but that seemed to be an unaccessible timeframe.

I hate cleaning more than I hate breathing. 

Accepting the cold of the cracking tiles, I make my way across the fractured flooring into the large bathroom which was just as dusty, with cobwebs creeping from corners. I already hated this bathroom for being entirely black, now I just hated it more for being dirty. 

It should've been white.

I take my time rinsing the bath, cleaning it thoroughly before filling the large tub with cold water. I strip myself of my worn clothes before letting myself sink in. Releasing a strained sigh as my ancient veins sizzle momentarily from the crisp touch of the water. Though I hated to admit it, any way to feel alive, even for a nanosecond, was worth it.