Chapter 27

For those curious on how I pronounced Wequie, I think in my head - Wah-k-eye. But if you think of it differently, that's fine. 

-------------

Lincoln's P.O.V

I walk up and down the rocky path with a locked jaw while my phone continues to ring continuously in my ears, the annoying intervals not helping to lessen my worry.

Kalem always picked up on the first ring, always.

Whenever we weren't together, Kalem made sure to keep his phone on him at all times so that when I called he could speak to me immediately. But it'd already passed three rings and I was yet to hear my boy's sweet voice.

Something wasn't right. 

If I hadn't spoken to Kalem yesterday, I would've worried that something would have happened to him by Diablos' hand but I had. He'd picked up his phone immediately for our night time call but he wasn't his usual cheerful self throughout the call. 

From the moment he'd picked up, he'd sounded shaken and scared, entirely devastated but no matter what I said, he'd been persistent in his assurances that he was alright. But I could tell he wasn't. 

When I demanded to speak to the elf, I didn't get much out of Aias beyond promises that all was fine with them and that they'd hit a potential mark on what Kalem was. He wouldn't offer any more details beyond that, not even to Malcolm who I'd made beg to know.

But the elf was one stubborn fuck, so I was left with nothing.

I continue pacing, my grasp on the phone so tight that it was mere seconds from shattering in my grasp. Thankfully, Kalem picks up before it went to voicemail or I broke it. 

"Master," Kalem answers slightly breathless, sounding as if he'd been running. 

"Hi Kalem," I reply, releasing the breath I hadn't realised I was holding, "What took you so long to answer?"

"I left the phone on the bed so I had to run from downstairs to get it," He explains quickly before adding, "I'm sorry Master."

"It's okay," I say choosing to not comment on how he always had his phone with him. "How are you love?"

"I'm okay Master," He replies, his voice not as fragile as it was yesterday.

"Are you sure?" I press hoping to get some more from him.

"I just miss you, Master," Kalem promises softly, "I miss you a lot."

I close my eyes at his words that served to make my heart and soul ache all over with the building need to be close to him again. 

"I miss you too Kalem," I reply while bringing forth the last image I had of him to my mind, "I hate being away from you. 

"Me too," He whimpers.

"I'll be back soon," I promise as I open my eyes once more. 

"Okay Master," Kalem replies with a sniffle.

Gods, he was crying.

"Aias is teaching me a lot of new things," He continues quickly before I can comment on the obvious tears. But he clearly didn't want to talk about it, so I step away from that ball of hurt.

"Like what?" I ask instead.

"He's taught me a few meals that he likes," He answers with his usual enthusiasm. "They are so good Master, but they are all plants."

"You hate vegetables,"

"I know!" He exclaims making me chuckle, "But his aren't so bad."

I bite back a groan of frustration, that elf brought trouble to me without even trying. Now I'd have to learn how to make vegetables the way that he did for Kalem.