Chapter 15

Lincoln's P.O.V

My eyes immediately snap open when I hear my bedroom door creak its way open. 

I listen with alert ears at Kalem's attempt to silently slip inside the darkroom before he gently shuts the door behind him. To a human, his movement would not be susceptible, barely audible in fact, but to a vampire, he might as well have jumped up and down while calling my name.

I close my eyes as he nears the bed knowing he'd try to flee if he knew I was awake. I breathe steadily through my nose, relaxing under the feel of those hazel eyes settling on my skin.

"It's fine Kalem," He begins in a gentle whisper to himself. "Master said to come if you had a nightmare, Master said it was okay. Master won't be mad, you're not being bad." 

It took much effort to not just open my eyes and pull Kalem down into my arms, especially with the nightmare of words Kalem was constructing for himself. I manage. Somehow, I manage to keep myself in check and simply wait every spec of patience I had for Kalem to come around.

Eventually, I feel Kalem slide into the empty space of the bed, his weight like the softest feather in this world, practically unnoticeable. He takes in a deep breath before sliding his slim arms around my waist and curling into me from behind.

I'd never imagined it for myself, but I suppose I was the little spoon in this relationship.

After a moment, I begin to shift, pretending to still be asleep, the actions making Kalem go rigid as I turn to face him before pulling him in seemingly unconsciously. I keep him close, my arms around his waist and my legs caging him possessively. 

He releases the breath still lodged in his throat, when I return to my feign state of slumber, before he shyly slips his small hands around my waist, keeping himself taut against me. Kalem easily buries his face into my chest, breathing me in deeply until he falls asleep soon after.

I stare at my sleeping angel with contentment hastily filling my heart, leaving room for nothing else but joy. 

Since our... delicious exchange in my office, where I finally sated my desires to taste and touch Kalem in the manner I'd denied myself for too long, we'd grown closer. Kalem and I. If that were even possible. 

It had started when our rules came into play and expanded with that wonderful exploration lead by lips against Kalem's smooth, silky skin.

With the new door opened and structure to balance him, Kalem had bloomed into the sweet human that hid just below the surface, under years of abuse and exploitation. He no longer hesitated with voicing what he liked and didn't like, didn't stop his smiles or frowns for that matter, going as far as to scold me when he thought I'd done some wrong only Kalem could catch.

He'd touched that part of him that made him Kalem, that vital part inside that has been smothered for way too long. And he did so with such happiness, his only worry to stick to the rules and work within their parameters which I'd made sure to make too broad to restrain him. 

He was free. Completely and utterly free and it was undeniably beautiful to watch unfold.

Leaning forward, I press a kiss to the top of Kalem's head, pulling him even closer as I let my lips curl upwards.

I didn't believe in any higher being, but the words of thanks for the angel in my arms escaped anyway.

----------

I wake up suddenly to Kalem's small whimpers, his chipped nails digging their way into my skin as he desperately clenched onto me. 

Reawakening instincts kick off immediately as I look across the room, listening with perched ears for any sign of life beyond the precious one in my arms. When I come up empty, I glance down at Kalem to find his eyes clenched shut while he twitched, clearly ensnared in a nightmare of his mind's doing.