Chapter 5

Lincoln's P.O.V.

"I don't quite understand why you're pulling me since I'm following you freely." Malcolm whines, protesting against my firm grip on his arm while I pull him away from the elf's prying ears. "I know how to walk Linc."

"Malcolm," I say with a sigh of exhaustion which only makes him huff a little before falling into a comfortable silence.

I pull him into a forgotten room which once was an office, a room Malcolm never really used, even in the height of his fame amongst the humans. I shut the doors behind us and follow Malcolm into the webbed room, standing over him while he sat on a small cushion within the window seal.

"Alright, what is it?" Malcolm says, gesturing lazily for me to begin while crossing his legs.

"Diablos sent about fifty men and women to my castle, to take Kalem back," I explain and frown slightly when he barely reacts, eyes only widening a small fraction.

"Oh." He says soundly mildly surprised.

"You're not surprised," I state and he nods. "Did you know he was coming?"

"No, I haven't spoken to Diablos in centuries." He says waving me off. "But I did expect as much to happen eventually. You took one of his slaves, his most valuable of the night in front of a sector of the community. I take it, word has spread and he is facing harsh criticism for being so vulnerable and weak. Retaliating is the only option in a position like that."

"It's hard to remember how idiotic you truly are when you actually use your brain on rare occasions such as these," I admit after listening to his explanation.

I'd never really gotten along with my own kind, didn't understand their ways of thinking but Malcolm was different because he wasn't like them. He didn't want what the other vampires wanted, well not in the same form that their needs took. It was one of the reasons he understood me better than most, that and he was annoyingly persistent in trying to become my friend for four decades straight.

"He knew they wouldn't succeed, knew he was sending his people to their deaths." Malcolm continues, ignoring my comment. "It was probably a warning if nothing else."

"There was a letter, the last one standing handed it to me before pulling his own heart out," I reveal and smile a little at the way Malcolm grimaced. "He wants me to give Kalem back and if I do not comply, he's threatening to start a war."

"Are you going to comply?" Malcolm asks, knowing damn well how even hinting at me to fall under Diablos' demands only urged me to do the complete opposite.

"Kalem isn't something to just give and take, he is a person." I grind out, using words all too similar to the ones I'd only just spoken to Kalem earlier today.

"Says the man who literally took him away." Malcolm mumbles in response, continuing before I could argue. "I'd say the simple solution is to just give the man the fee which you owe."

"I am not going to pay for him and treat him like a slave!"

"So you'd rather keep your pride than appease the fucker with what is probably spare change to you? Hm?" Malcolm questions, standing to look me in my eyes with serious intent. "You'd rather let the boy suffer through blood and deaths for an unknown length of time, so you don't have to go against your unwavering values?"

An uncomfortable quiet falls between us as Malcolm pierces me with his gaze, showing no remorse for his words. I lock my jaw, letting my teeth grind together to keep me steady.

"I am not going to support these disgusting practices in any way." I grind out slowly. "I will not do that to myself or to Kalem."

Malcolm stares at me, eyes narrowing his eyes to decrypting slits before his stance loosens and he flops back onto his cushion. He rests his head against the peeling wall paint and crosses his legs.