Chapter 4

Kalem's P.O.V

I climb one step higher up the long thing master called a Library Ladder, reaching for the first book on this lane.

I hum gently to myself while wiping the first book free of any dust and webs with my favorite rag that Master bought me. It was my favorite because it was yellow like the softness where I slept and could only be used in the library, that was my own rule that I didn't tell Master about.

I smile when I pull away the rag to find the small, black book clean and pretty underneath. I wipe the space it was in one more time before moving onto the next book.

Today I was cleaning the library.

The library was my favorite place because it was where Master read to me and taught me how to read more, it was where Master and I were closest because he let me sit with him. Being in Master's arms felt like when he carried me, but even better, so I loved the library very much.

It was my goal to make the library the cleanest place in the castle so Master could love the place as much as I did.

Master said I couldn't clean the entire place today, only four shelves, I was on my second shelf now. I didn't like that he didn't let me serve him properly but I didn't argue, slaves weren't supposed to disobey and I didn't want to make Master angry.

I'd never seen Master angry and I didn't want to. I'd seen what the trainers became when they were angry and I didn't want Master to punish me in that way.

I look between the space of the shelf to secretly check on Master. He was reading a book I cleaned yesterday, with a blood bag to his lips that he sipped happily. It made me smile even more to see him pleased with my servitude.

I just wanted to please Master and maybe if I did, he'd collar me again.

"Kalem," Master says making me freeze, I'd been caught staring somehow. Master looks away from his pages so I offer him the best smile I can before answering.

"Yes, Master."

"What do you know about vampires?" He questions while shutting his book and putting it aside, I tilt my head slightly in confusion as I try to think.

It was hard to reply to Master because he was a vampire too. If I said something mean about vampires Master may get hurt or I could say something that made him angry, then I'd be rightfully punished. But Master had asked me to be honest with him, it was the only thing he asked me for, it was my one and only official job as his slave.

I wouldn't fail him.

"I know that vampires don't die and that they like blood like mine." I start, glancing up at Master to make sure I hadn't upset him yet. "They are Masters and they like to use their teeth a lot."

Master chuckles as he wipes his eyes, I frown knowing I hadn't answered it the way a proper slave would.

"I-I'm sorry Ma-"

"Kalem, you've done nothing wrong," Master says using his nice voice that made me feel nice too. "I love when you speak honestly."

"Okay, Master," I reply before continuing my chores with a sigh.

I didn't know why I couldn't be the perfect slave for Master. I'd been trained for it and only made a few mistakes ever, but with Master, I seemed to do nothing but wrongs. Master didn't want to use me and didn't even want me to clean, he didn't like it when I kneeled for him in the mornings even though all good slaves did.

"Is there anything you'd like to do after cleaning?" Master asks, now standing at the bottom of the ladder, I quickly begin climbing down not wanting to be above him.