Ain't It Fun- Alex/Adult World

"Hey, " I greeted the brown-haired man, who stood in front of me, "Can you show me where the physics books are?"

"No problem, " he smiled, showing off his dimples, "Follow me."

The man guided me around the bookstore and led me to a section filled with college textbooks- he skimmed around until he placed his hand on a Physics 101 book and handed it to me.

"Thank you so much," I thanked him, "You're a lifesaver."

"It's no problem, " he responded, "If you need anything else, I'll be at the front desk."

I nodded my head and took a seat at a nearby table. I began to prepare my mind for the month's worth of physics I was about to read. Running on two hours of sleep, I could only wish that I would make it long enough to finish. I took a deep breath and pulled out my headphones. I played some music to help my creativity start to flow.

Ain't it fun? Living in the real world? Ain't it fun? Being all alone?  No, Hayley Williams, it is not fun. The music had begun to mock me. Being an adult in college sucked. At least 3 hours had passed. I stared at the computer in front of me in defeat. I had a 5-page essay to complete and only 8 more hours to finish it.

"Is anyone sitting here, " a male voice asked.

I didn't even bother looking up from my computer screen.

"No, " I answered, "You can sit there if you want?"

"I just wanted to check on you, " the man confessed, "You seemed stressed when you first walked in earlier. You seem like you've gotten worse."

I looked up from my laptop to see who was sitting in front of me. The brown-eyed man from before smirked as he made eye contact with me.

"What are you? My psychiatrist, " I asked annoyed.

"No, " he answered, "If you need to vent, though, I'm here to listen."

I was not going to sit there and rant about my problems to some random stranger that I had just met in a bookstore. I studied his face a little better as he sat there. He was extremely hot. Which made me want to keep to myself even more.

"I'm fine, " I lied, "You don't have to worry about me."

The look on his face indicated that he knew I was lying.

"College Essay, huh, " he chuckled.

"How did you know," I asked baffled.

"The obvious signs of stress, confusion, and sadness, " he shrugged, "I've been there, you look dead inside also."

My mouth made an "o" shape as I dropped my head in defeat. College life had already begun to drain my soul. I could be cast as a zombie in The Walking Dead by the time I graduated; I wouldn't even need special effects makeup.

"Don't worry about it," he insisted, "You still look good. I'm Alex, by the way."

I lifted my head, "I'm Y/n, " I replied.

"Nice to meet you, Y/n," Alex smiled, "Now go on ahead and let it all out."

"I was supposed to do this stupid ass paper a few months ago, but most of my coworkers quit. Can you guess who had to fill all of their positions and their own? Me- so I started on my paper, and it's due tomorrow, " I rambled, "Not to mention, my boss is a perverted dick, who won't stop harassing me- and I've been extremely stressed and depressed. I want to drop out, but I know I can't. I hate school. I hate people. I hate my life. I could use a hug, but I have no friends 'cause they all were shitty."

It felt amazing to get that off of my chest, but terrible hearing it out loud. I burst into tears. I hated living in an Adult World. Alex walked toward me with open arms. I stood up and wrapped myself around him. He rubbed the top of my head as I sobbed on his shoulder.

"If you want I could help you out, " Alex proposed, "All you have to do is ask."

He wiped a tear from under my eye as I nodded my head.

"I don't need help, " I declined his offer, "but thanks for letting me vent to you."

"No problem, " Alex smiled.

Alex helped me anyways. I turned in my paper but ended up staying with him the rest of the day. It was time for him to close up the store when the both of us parted ways. I went back the next day to ask him for help with English and the next with History. After that, I just started to his cause I wanted to hang out with him. That's what girlfriends do, right?