Mother Goose Pt.2

After looking at nearby apartments, it was time to pick the kids up from daycare. Everything was so expensive around here, which made sense. The Walkers did stay in a pleasant part of town, so it was no wonder he could afford to hire me without worry. The gas station business must've paid nicely. At this rate, I could never afford to move closer to pick the kids up on time unless I continued to leave the house early like I had been doing, but that's a lot of time, especially when I have to ride back home and do it all over again. However, I couldn't complain too much because I thoroughly liked this job, and for me, it was worth it.

A familiar car was parked outside the house when we arrived- one that was supposed to be at work. I followed the kids into the house where Kit seemed to have just arrived; he hadn't placed down his keys yet. The smile that appeared every time he saw the kids made my heart melt. I'd never been more happy to be a babysitter. Every day with them was another star in my sky, watching them grow, playing, and teaching them more about the world every day- and sometimes they even teach me things. They know way too much about outer space. And their father. Don't even get me started. Kit was an absolute gentleman. He was considerate and caring. He often tried to help out as much as he could; even though it was my job to take care of the kids, he often wanted to try and contribute. 

"Daddy," the kids yelled in sync.

"Hey, there's my little rascals," he said.

He picked the five-year-olds up from the floor and effortlessly held them in his arms, spinning around as they laughed. It warmed my spirit as I watched them play together, but they eventually stopped as Kit placed them back down.

"I'm a little dizzy now," Kit said, "Hey, Y/n. There's three of you."

"You know what they say, the more, the merrier," I replied. 

"If that's the case, I'm not complaining," he joked.

All that spinning had gotten to him as he stood in one spot, yet his body moved in circles. I truthfully hoped he didn't fall. Thomas and Julia did not share the same thoughts as they giggled, ready to burst out into laughter the second Kit plummeted, and he did; he was down and refused to get up and lay there in embarrassment.

"Ow," Kit sighed, "I think I'm getting old."

I ran over to him immediately and helped lift him off the floor. Kit his arm around my neck as he tried to keep from falling again.

"Well, I couldn't tell even if that were true," I joked, "Besides, you've pumped two kids out, so you can't be that old if you still got it."

"And that I do," he replied, "I might even have a couple more soon if some lucky lady plays their cards right."

Kit winked at me as he attempted to regain his balance. My face grew hot as I looked away from him and back to the kids, who were too busy playing pattycake. I needed Julia's smart mouth to save me. Her father had given himself a concussion and was confused.

"Maybe you need to lie down for a while," I suggested, "I think that fall might've gotten to you."

"As much as I would love that, I have to get back to the gas station," he explained, "I forgot to pack myself a lunch before I left. I figured I'd stop by, make a sandwich, and head back."

His sense of direction came back somewhat as he stumbled to the fridge. When I first arrived at the house, there was hardly anything in the fridge that was unprocessed or homemade. He and the kids needed real food, especially with how hard he worked all day- a couple of hot dogs is not enough after a long shift.

"Did I miss something," he joked, "How did all this get here?"

"I went grocery shopping before I picked up the kids, " I answered, "I figured you all were pretty tired of pre-made meals and sandwiches, so I went ahead and got some other stuff."