Checkout- Kyle Spencer

If food weren't necessary to survive, a grocery store would be the last place I'd visit on Earth. Children threw tantrums every minute; middle-aged women harassed teenagers over a military discount, and if I had to stop another fight over Ben and Jerry's, I swore I would put in my two weeks. I did not get paid enough for this shit. Not a single soul on this planet deserved to suffer in this environment, but alas, I'd had this job since I was sixteen, and it was what I'd grown used to. Not to mention, it was helping me pay my way through college.

But throughout all the trials and tribulations suffered in this store, one group never failed to irk my every nerve when they were present. Fraternity boys. They'd destroy the aisles and take off so they'd never have to pay for it; treated the shopping carts like go-carts and ran me over without apology; and flirted with anything that roamed with a vagina. Some of them have even given my 56-year-old manager some action. Whether it be a Kappa or an Alpha. A Delta or a Sigma. They'd cause absolute hell; toddlers were more mature than they were. And the reign of terror here was always for one reason. Booze. But not just any booze. Free booze. Thanks to my weirdo manager hooking up with these in-denial assholes in search of a MILF, they'd never get carded here. Her youthful boy toys and their allies flocked to this store, causing me migraines and driving me stupidly mad.

I couldn't lie and say they were all terrible, though, because there was this one guy. Kyle Spencer was his name. He was a part of the university's favorite Kappa Lambda Gamma. Out of all the frat guys who walked into this store through my years of working here, I could honestly say he was the sweetest I'd ever met. The cute blonde entered the store every Friday to get booze for him and his friends' outlandish parties. They'd tag along sometimes, but it was much preferred when they didn't. He didn't drink, so they always sent him because they trusted him not to drink all the booze before he returned. That was one thing I agreed with them about.

Kyle was different; he kept his head high and on swivel. He acted like he had a future ahead of him, one he was afraid to lose. I'd even admit that I respected him- and developed a crush on him. I couldn't help it. He was the whole package- aka, he was everything they weren't. Kyle was sweet, funny, helpful, wise, and non-offensive.

Sure, that's the bare minimum, but that's a miracle of man nowadays.

Thankfully, the store was less crowded today, so I had more time to cram for a Literature test I had tomorrow. The sound of the store's entrance bell distracted me from skimming over my textbook.

"Welcome to Hoggly Woggly, where our prices won't 'boar' you? How could I assist you today," I spoke.

"Wow, do you guys honestly have to say that every time," a familiar voice asked.

I diverted from my book and was greeted by my favorite customer. Kyle smiled as he leaned against my register. I rapidly bookmarked my page and placed my book down. One of our store's rules was to give customers our full attention, and he had mine. My spirit lifted every time he entered the store.

"I mean, come on, sure, they are in the same family, but they aren't even the same animal," he chuckled.

"Well, if you haven't noticed by the pig hats they make us wear, the store's owners aren't quite all there," I joked.

"See, I've always wanted to say something about that, but I was afraid I'd hurt someone's feelings," Kyle laughed.

His smile lit up the room like a candle in a realm of shadows, warming up the cold abyss in my soul created by this job and giving me goosebumps every time he revealed his dimples. But of course, I wouldn't witness them for long as my creepy-ass manager would never give me the satisfaction. My smile dropped as she immediately walked toward him and me.