Shortcuts pt.2 - Kyle Spencer

Classes were finally done for the day and all I could think about was my bed. Well, that and the incident that had occurred earlier. Putting together that bet with that frat guy. What was his name? I think it was Kyle. It didn't matter he probably wouldn't pull it off anyway. Frat guys usually do not have a single considerate bone in their bodies. They just want to party, be assholes, and have sex with anything that walks.

As I stepped down from the final step, a familiar voice called out to me.

"Hey, Y/n," they hollered from behind me.

I stopped and turned around; it was the frat boy from earlier. He smiled and waved as he headed toward my direction and down the steps. Honestly, I was surprised he remembered my name.

"Hello, " I shyly waved back before attempting to speed off.

"Hey, wait up, " Kyle yelled as he rushed by my side, "You seem to be in a rush."

He was smiling that cheeky smile again. It was kind of adorable, I must admit, but he was still a frat boy.

"I'm trying to get away from you, " I admitted, "And the attention you bring."

Multiple eyes followed both of us as we walked by. Kyle must've been quite popular.

"I'm guessing you're a fan favorite around here, " I continued, "May I ask why?"

"I wouldn't consider myself a fan favorite, " the boy smiled, "It's just one of the perks of being in Kappa Lambda Gamma, I guess. You know with all the parties you get to meet new people. You should come to one."

"To a frat party, " I scoffed at the suggestion, "No thanks, I'll pass."

"Oh, come on, " Kyle whined, "Why not? You could meet new people."

"I hate people, " I spat, "And I hate crowds."

"Oh, well, " Kyle continued, "We'll have games."

"Slurping up a shot of liquor out of some sweaty guy's belly button is not a game, " I denied, "It's downright nauseating."

"You've got a point there, " he shuffled his hair, " Oh, we'll provide drinks."

"If you think I'd ever pick up a drink at a frat party, you're outta your damn mind, " I argued.

The boy stopped in front of me causing me to stop dead in my tracks. I rolled my eyes.

"Come on, Y/n, " Kyle whined, "Will you at least consider?"

His beautiful eyes stared into my soul. Goddamn it.

"Fine, " I gave in, "I'll consider."

A wide smile appeared on his face. I shook my head out of disappointment. I had just fallen for the puppy dog eyes trick. Goddamn manipulative frat boys.

__________________________

"Hey, Y/n, " Kyle's voice echoed from behind me, "Fancy seeing you here."

I placed the book that was in my hand onto the shelf and sighed to myself. Here we go again.

"I work here, " I shrugged as I turned to face the boy, who was closer than I expected.

His nose was a few centimeters away from touching mine, and his eyes were locked onto me. He backed up a little upon realization.

"Sorry, " Kyle chuckled, "So you're a librarian. I can't say I'm surprised, you fit the stereotype."

I raised my eyebrow. The stereotype?

"What are you trying to say, " I scoffed, "I'm boring, lonely, and nerdy?"

"No, " Kyle defended, "You're quiet, sweet, and smart."

I let my guard down a little. Maybe I was misjudging him more than I should have been.

"Oh," I gasped as I turned away from him, "That wasn't what I was expecting."

"And you're pretty," Kyle continued, "Extremely pretty."

I tried to hide the fact that I was blushing. He thinks I'm pretty. He licked his lips and smirked at me.

"You're like a librarian from a porno," Kyle laughed.

And there it was. He ruined it. I pushed him out of my way and headed toward the other side of the bookcase. I had work to do, and he was getting in my way. Kyle followed me.

"Hey," Kyle whined, "What was that for?"

"Maybe because you compared me to a pornstar," I spat.

"What's wrong with that," Kyle shrugged, "I meant it, respectfully."

I grabbed onto the ladder that had been left there and began to climb up. I had to make sure every book was in order from top to bottom. I also needed to be away from the dumb blonde at the bottom.

Everything seemed to be in order, well everything but one book that was meant to be at the bottom of the shelf. I reached my arm out towards it. It was too far, but that didn't stop me from trying. I reached again, this time trying to scoot the ladder over a little with me. I made some distance. I could grab it, I just needed to get more closer. I took a deep breath and lunged at the book on the shelf. As I lunged, I couldn't help but gasp at the familiar cracking sound of the ladder beneath me. The ladder had finally broken and I was going down along with it. It all happened so quickly, I didn't even have time to scream before I realized that I wasn't in the air anymore. I yelped until I realized that I was in Kyle's arms.

"It's okay, I got you, " he grunted.

"You saved my life, " I finally spoke.

I hate to say it, but if it hadn't been for him I'd be dead. He had broken my fall injuring himself at my expense. It wasn't too long until the ambulance arrived. One of the librarians had alerted them after hearing the loud thud and my screams. Kyle was rushed into the E.R. I couldn't go with him, being that I wasn't immediate family, but I can't sit here and tell you that I didn't worry about him all night. What was wrong with me? Why did I care? He was a typical frat boy following me around and plucking my nerve for the sake of his humor, but he saved my life.