Take a Number - Evan Peters

Was it weird that I was sitting there watching my neighbor mow his lawn while I listened to music and pretended to read? I knew it was, but I couldn't help myself. Thankfully my floppy hat and sunglasses covered my face enough for him never to notice. He was a dream, and I wasn't purposely trying to watch him- I originally planned to sunbathe in my lawn chair while I read, but then he strolled out of his front door in a tight, white shirt. Maybe it was the way the fabric firmly hugged his biceps. The way the sun highlighted his brown eyes. The sweated through his top before he slowly took it off.

I've had a crush on this man ever since he moved into the neighborhood, and it was no secret that everybody on the block felt the same as I did. Multiple of them had tried to make an advance, but none had any luck yet. Many men come and go, but something about him clutched me like a fist at the thought of him being; it made even me submissive. Yet, I never even caught his name.

I studied the sweat as it trickled down his body and the way his muscles flexed as he pushed the lawnmower. I could tell he was tired; he had been outside doing yard work for what seemed to be hours. I had a fresh pitcher of pink lemonade on the table on my side, so it couldn't hurt to offer him a refreshment. After all, it was the neighborly thing to do- sharing is caring.

I grabbed my glass and the pitcher and brushed past the pink flamingos. I tried to avoid spilling a drop. I was on a mission as I began to sprint to the edge of my yard and stopped at my mailbox. My hands were full, so waving him down was not an option, but I also did not walk onto his property without permission, so I began to whistle in hopes that he'd hear and notice me. I'll admit the plan was not full-proof, but it worked.

He stopped the lawnmower and wiped the sweat off his forehead with his shirt as he looked in my direction. After his attention was gotten, I motioned for him to come over. He slowly walked in my path, smiling as he got closer. He was much more attractive than I anticipated, but I guess only seeing a person from afar can alter what you think they look like.

"Hey, neighbor," I greeted, "You've been working hard all day, and I assume you'd be quite parched, so I poured you a glass of lemonade."

"Thank you," He smirked.

"No need," I smiled.

I filled up the glass and handed it to him.

"I don't think I've ever gotten to meet you," he stated, "I'm Evan."

I stopped dead in my tracks and turned to face him.

"Evan, I like that," I smiled, "The names Y/n. I'd love to sit and chat, but I don't want to take up all your time."

"Pleasure meeting you, Y/n," He grinned.

"Likewise."

Somehow I found myself back on my lawn chair as I watched my neighbor do his daily chores. He was currently watering his plants with a hose. But this time, it was different. Every time I looked up from my book, he'd look in my direction. I caught him as he stared at one point. I smiled; usually, I would be too afraid to take a chance like this, but you can't be scared forever.

"You know, Evan, I've never been good at talking with my eyes," I teased, "If you have something to say, just tell me. I'm only across the street."

"Sorry, I don't think I could say what I'm thinking," Evan flirted.

"Why not," I asked.

"Kids might be around, and their parents won't like what comes out of my mouth," he hinted, "Why don't you come over so I can tell you personally?"

"Oh," I teased, "Must be truly important then, huh?"

"Incredibly important," Evan continued, "But if I tell you now, it'll relieve all your stress."

It won't be that easy- not even for him, even though I wanted to. I shut my book and glanced at my phone, pretending to get a notification.

"Well, I wish you could tell me, Evan," I sighed, "Unfortunately, I have things to do afterward. Hopefully, you can remember whatever it is whenever we see each other again."

He shut off the hose immediately and walked over to me. I pulled my sunglasses down to look at him as he hovered over me.

"You're blocking my sun," I said.

"Wait- you're leaving already," he said, "We just met, and I wanted to give you a proper introduction."

He was an undeniable flirt, and he could talk a good game; but if he wanted to score, he'd have to continue playing. That's how life works.

"Well, we've already said our 'hi's,'" I replied, "So, we're passed introductions. Now would be the time you get to know someone you know. Maybe go out, wine, and dine. Keep it classy."

"I agree," he replied, "When are you free?"

"Let me check," I responded.

I went to my calendar on my phone and looked at my schedule. I had lots of free time, but he couldn't know that. He needed to believe that he was just an option or another man had been blessed with the opportunity to speak to me; hard to get was the game that would be played.

"I'm quite busy this month, but I'll have to wait and see if I can squeeze you in," I lied.

"Really," Evan said as he leaned over me, "That's too bad. I truthfully wanted to show you the time of your life."

"So, do the other guys," I mocked, "You can take a number."

Evan smiled.

"Then I'll take yours," he said.

He handed me his phone from his back pocket, and I added my contact.

"Don't forget to add a picture to the contact," he said, "I want to see you when I talk to you."

I rolled my eyes, but internally this man had me hooked.

"Facetime exists," I stated.

"True, but how can I think of you when you're not calling me," he said, "I mean, I could try. I definitely could never forget your face, but it's nice to have a portrait."

"Whatever," I chuckled.

"Hey, I'm just saying, they put a frame on the Mona Lisa, but I'd much rather look at you," he teased.

"Fine," I said as I took a quick picture, "Happy?"

"Isn't every artist once they find their muse," he responded.

"Can I get going now," I asked as I sat up.

His face was directly in front of mine, our lips only centimeters apart. Evan smirked as he studied my face, biting his lip as he did. I tried my best to remain uninterested and not blush, but it was hard. Eventually, Evan stood straight and gave me room to breathe.

"I'll call you," he informed me.

"Text," I smirked.

"I'll text you," he smiled, "Until I see you again, I'll see you in my dreams."

"I hope because any dream without me is a nightmare," I replied as I stood up and grabbed my stuff to bring inside, "Bye.

I slammed the door behind me after I had brought everything inside. I couldn't believe that I had just hooked him out of all people. The one guy I had liked for God knows how long, and I kept him on his toes. I was so proud of myself. Now, I only had to keep it going. I wonder how far I could get with this.