Counter Boy- Charles Decker

Double shifts weren't too common for me, but they always left me exhausted when they were. Clocking out in the middle of the night was always frightening, but the bright twinkling in the sky always helped me take my mind off the thought while the gentle breeze helped cool me down from the scorching heat I worked around all day. The perks of working in a diner were meaningless in the summer, especially one where that served hassling truckers. People become rowdier in the heat, and I could confirm from the number of times I had to save face after some creep slapped my ass as I passed by.

The main road was empty, as the diner was right on the edge of the interstate. The only other building on the route was a truck stop connected to a motel. It never seemed too busy during this hour. Most truckers stopped to pick up the prostitute who used to live there, but now that Vicki wasn't outside anymore, the place often looked deserted to an outsider's eye. On the inside was the brunette boy who sat behind the counter; he was so cute, and I'd often lose track of time whenever I spoke to him.

His name was Charles Decker. He and I went to the same high school, but confidence was not something I had back then. Charles was timid and ostracized because of his impairment, but he was always a sweetheart, regardless of the negativity. The soft-hearted man fascinated me. Kind and caring, he was so much different from everyone else around. The times I tried to speak to him, I'd make myself look stupid and take off. Our newfound bond started because he recognized me in the shop after one late shift; he remembered how I ran off after congratulating him on winning a high ranking in a photo competition. Since then, I made it a priority to stop by and visit anytime I worked a double.

"Hey," I greeted him.

The store was empty as usual, excluding him as he sat behind the counter. The man's eyes lit up as he grinned. Watching me walk through the door, he leaned across the counter.

"Hi, I haven't seen you in a week. Late night," Charles asked.

"Extremely. Our new girl didn't show up, so I had to stay over and work her closing shift. I'm hoping you weren't worried about me too much," I kidded.

"Nah, I figured you'd run off to another truck stop finally," he joked.

"Well, unfortunately for you. There aren't many stops in the middle of nowhere. Go figure," I laughed.

He chuckled as I walked over to the cooler and grabbed two sodas.

"Besides, even if there were twenty other truck stops on this road. None of them would have my favorite Counter Boy. With that being said, they wouldn't even see me in the daytime," I declared.

I strolled to the chips section and picked the first thing that interested me.

"Favorite, huh? That's a bold title," he responded.

"For a bold truth. Do you want anything from over here," I responded.

"I'll take whatever you're getting," Charles answered.

He sat up as I walked over to him with the snacks, placing them on the counter for him to total them. His cheeks were rosy as he rang up the items.

"What's wrong, Counter Boy? You're not getting sick, are you? Your face is getting flushed. Let me go get you a Ginger Ale," I insisted.

"Oh, no. You don't have to. I'm not getting sick. You're total is $2.15," he announced.

I nodded and handed him a five. His fingers slowly caressed mine as he took the bill out of my hand. The atmosphere in the room changed completely. There wasn't a shock, but the feeling was electric. He cleared his throat and pretended to ignore what had happened.

"Y-you can keep the change," I stuttered.

Our awkward silence broke at the sound of him typing at the register and me popping open my soda can. My confidence had grown since high school, but this suppressed that progress. That nervousness I hadn't felt in so long rushed over me.

"Thanks, by the way," he said.

"D-don't mention it. I think it's time I leave. I have to be back at the diner in the morning," I stammered.

"Well, I'll be here if you work a double," he responded.

I nodded and charged toward the door. Before I could fully exit, Charles called out to me.

"Y/n, wait before you run away. I know I'm just the counter boy, but I was wondering if maybe one of these days I see you from behind this counter. Maybe on a date," he uttered.

A wide grin overtook my face as I nodded profusely,

"Yeah, I'd love that," I answered.

"Great, and if you don't mind, I'd like to bring my camera. I want to save the memory," he smiled.