On the Side 18+ - Jimmy Darling

It was my first day working for Miss Elsa at the show, and I'd be lying if I said that this was what I'd expected to be doing with my life-not working as a performer but as an accountant. I was always good with money- whether it'd be managing, saving, or even doubling it. I was the girl to come to, but unfortunately, most banks- and men- disagreed that a woman should have an opinion on how they handle their finances, so they always stuck me with the secretary job, insisting that I was 'better for the view.' That's when Miss Elsa barged in, demanding a loan from one of the guys at our firm; the man laughed in her face and insisted that she was out of her mind if she thought they'd help fund her 'monstrosity.' I caught her before she stormed out, offering her some quick tips and tricks she could use, so she wouldn't have to come to ask for a loan again, but she seemed rather impressed and asked if I would be interested in helping with her financial troubles at the show, and needless to say, I agreed.

Everyone was so courteous; they helped me set up my new tent, and I didn't have much- who immediately has a Queen-size bed on standby when they move on intuition? All I had was a table, a chair, and a sleeping cot- not to mention my suitcase.

I was getting to know every person here and their roles. I had met every resident except for one. The one Desiree kept hounding me about- saying, "He's gonna fall in love when he sees you."

Lobster Boy was his performer title, but everyone told me his name was Jimmy.

I had just finished talking to Paul about how I believed the performers could use better props when I heard a man's voice greeting everyone from behind me.

Our conversation was cut short as he walked to the man.

"Hey, Paul, who is that?"

I could only assume the voice was asking about me. I continued to count all the bills in front of me, stacking them into different areas so I wouldn't lose my place.

"That's Y/n," Paul answered, "Elsa introduced us to her earlier. She's an accountant, supposed to be helping with money and budgets. If you were here like Elsa asked you to be, you'd already know that?"

"Sorry, I had to stop by the diner for something," the voice apologized, "So what does she look like?"

"If you were here, you could've found out," Paul sighed, "Look, Jimmy, it's getting a little difficult to cover for you nowadays. Maybe you could dial down on sneaking off to your 'other job' for a while."

"I guess I could try," Jimmy agreed, "And Paul, thanks again."

"No problem," Paul responded, "It was nice to meet you, Y/n."

"You as well," I replied.

As one set of footsteps walked away from the tent, the other got closer. I was too focused on my work to care as I had my back turned.

"So you're the new girl around here," Jimmy greeted me, "Welcome. The name is Jimmy. Jimmy Darling."

"It's a pleasure to meet you, Jimmy," I replied, "I'm Y/n. Y/n L/n."

I held my hand out to reach for my pen, but instead, Jimmy took this as a sign of flattery and grabbed my hand. He kissed my knuckle—the flirt, just as I expected. Every business has one- and I've learned that it's best to ignore them, but him specifically. His face. Those eyes. He was compelling, but I shook away any other thoughts as this was now my coworker. I had to keep it professional.

"The pleasure is all mine," he continued.

"Quite the gentleman," I chuckled, "But I was reaching for my pen."

I released my hand from his grasp and finally retrieved my pen.

"So, Mr. Darling, ironically, I overheard your conversation with Paul as I was calculating payments," I changed the conversation, "You have another job. I'm curious. What is it?"