Day 1,406- Cooper Day

The messy-haired brunette sat at his desk, writing in one of his journals. I was ecstatic to see him, but worried as I had avoided visiting his house. We'd only talked over the phone during his suspension, which worried him because I normally hung out at his house more than my own. He questioned it, but I'd always change the subject whenever he did. Now that he had returned, hiding my evidence of distress from the observant guy would be more difficult. I held my hand over my eyes while I walked to my desk beside him.

"Hey, Coop. It's nice to see you're back." I greeted. "It was getting boring without your sarcasm."

His brown eyes always lit up whenever I presented myself, and every time it made my heart pound. Cooper once told me he'd stay a lifetime in hell with no complaint if I were with him; one of the sweetest things anyone had ever said to me. His eyebrows furrowed as he grabbed my arm, stopping me before I could take my seat. He could sense I was trying to keep something hidden from a mile away as he stood and lowered my forearm. He examined the dark circles under my eyes, exposing my sleeplessness to his inevitable light. Nothing could get past Cooper Day. 

"Huh, you look dead inside. You know, they usually have makeup for that type of thing." Cooper joked.

I rolled my eyes at his unwarranted observation. He was the most blunt person even in the worst situations. Sometimes I wanted to hate his snarky remarks like everyone else, but I couldn't. I knew I could always trust him because of his brutal honesty; it made me love him even more. Other times, I wanted to kick him in the balls. Cooper chuckled as he sat back down, releasing my arm before he continued to write in his notebook. It astounded me how he could casually taunt me and continue about his day as if he'd said nothing wrong. That's what best friends do, though. 

"Says the guy with the shiner on his left eye. Your crusted eye looks like Grimace's vagina, but you want to talk about me," I mocked.

Cooper burst into laughter as he shook his head.

"I can't say I didn't deserve that one," he chuckled. "Thanks for the nightmare fuel, though. I'll never eat at McDonalds again."

"No thanks necessary. It's my civil duty to keep you in check," I kidded, sitting at my desk. "Now let's get to the topic of you ignoring my advice. Do I need to remind you to keep ice on that thing? It wouldn't look as noticeable if you listened to me, you know?"

"Jeez, even at school, I have to deal with another mother; it's no wonder my mom likes you so much. I haven't had time. I'm working on my novel, you know," he snickered. "On a more important note, what's with you? I stayed two days away from this place. You hadn't visited once. That's unlike you. Even my dad was concerned." 

"Is that why you kept disturbing my grandma's shows with your calls? You owe me big time. She cussed me out with every ring," I joked. "And I'm sorry. I've just been going through a lot of personal stuff."

Cooper stopped writing as he became lost in thought, tapping his pen on his desk as his face grew worried. I would normally tell him every detail of my life, so the sudden secrecy raised a red flag in his head. Whatever happened behind the scenes must've been an enormous deal in his mind. A pattern had occurred in the women of his life, so the only thing he could think of was deranged.

"You're not pregnant, are you?" he asked.

My eyes widened at the foolishness of the assumption. Cooper had formed the belief that every woman around him was 'with child' since he discovered his sister puking in the bathroom and his mother announced her pregnancy. With the main two women in his life becoming life bringers, he had already prepared to consider me as an addition to the list.

"Don't be ridiculous, dude. I don't even leave my house unless I'm here or at your place," I insisted. "There's no way in absolute hell that could be unless I was bearing the new Christ."