Eyes- Jimmy Darling

For over thirty minutes, I stood on the side of the road with my thumb out, hoping to catch a ride from a kind stranger, and not a single soul drove by. Jupiter, Florida, wasn't my home. I had been passing through and was clueless about where I was located. I worried that this was an abandoned part of the small town. Back home, I could have found my way in a second; I'd be missing forever here. I kicked rocks to pass the time while I strolled down the road. Initially, I had given up, and rescue seemed nonexistent, but out of the corner of my eyes, I noticed there were signs on the side of the road. Curious, I ran over to one; they were high in the air but low enough to read. It read 'Amazon Eve,' and a woman stood posed on it; it seemed to be a promotion of a place nearby. I gained hope as I immediately ran down the pathway, following each poster until I reached a peculiar era.

There were multiple tents and trailers and what looked to be an outside dining area. It looked like a camping ground aside from the massive Ferris Wheel on the premises. I should've read all the signs because I had no clue where I was. Back home, you couldn't have a Ferris Wheel on your lot unless you were a business, so I assumed the same rules applied here. Further onto the property, I noticed a man setting up what looked to be a ticket booth. I couldn't see his face, but I noticed he wore gloves- in the middle of summer. Odd. It was too hot out here to wear gloves. Hell, I almost passed out on the road twice.

"Hey, mister," I called out to him, "I don't mean to bother you, but could you help me."

The man turned and then greeted me with a smile. Good Lord. He was a dreamboat. I should've checked for him on one of those posters I'd run past. Maybe I would've caught his name beforehand. The man walked closer to me, and the closer he got, the more attractive he became and the more amazed he looked. He looked at me like he'd never seen a woman before, and I was more than sure he had. Women must've flocked to him wherever he went.

"Well, that depends, Doll. What kind of help do you need," the man chuckled.

"I was wondering if you had a phone to use," I explained, "I'm not from here, and I'm completely stranded. I need to call my folks back home."

He thought for a minute before nodding his head.

"I think I can help you. Miss Elsa has a phone," he said, "Follow me."

I followed close behind as he led me toward the tents. I'd never seen anything like this place, but I wouldn't mind seeing more if he worked here. He had pretty brown eyes and a nice smile. Dimples that were deeper than the Grand Canyon. Never had I seen someone as good-looking as him before. Not even in the movies- my apologies to James Dean.

"If you don't mind me asking. How'd you end up far out here," he asked.

"Well, I had a family friend. He told me he could take me to see the world," I explained, "I was excited, but when we got down that road, he shoved me out of his car. Other than that, I thought he was a nice guy."

"He left you by yourself on the side of the road," he questioned, "I wouldn't call that a nice guy. I wouldn't even call that a man. A real man would never leave his woman behind, especially not a special beauty like you. You've got the most beautiful eyes I've ever seen."

I was happy the man didn't turn around because he would have noticed how flustered he'd made me. Those words leaving his mouth were a compliment, at the least. He might as well put me in a film with Marilyn Monroe next. I wished I knew what he meant. I'd never seen myself, as my mother forbade mirrors in our household and anything with a reflective effect. She'd tell me it wasn't good for me to see myself because when people look at themselves, they become vain. I'd assume that was why people would stare at me. Maybe something about my beauty stood out from everyone else, or perhaps if I knew what it was, I'd become too big for my britches; either way, I didn't want that, so I never questioned it.