Insecure- SpongeBob

"Hey, Russell," a group of girls said in sync as they walked by.

"Hello, ladies," Spongebob winked at them.

Ever since Stacy kissed him, his reputation grew along with his head. I rolled my eyes as I brushed past him.

"Hey, wait up, Y/n," he yelled after me, "What's wrong with you?"

"Nothing is wrong," I lied.

There was something wrong. I've had a crush on that dork for God knows how long, but now that other girls were around, it was so much harder to get him to notice. Sure, I was happy that he had finally started to gain more friends and get treated better, but ever since that dumb-ass sleepover Russell and I's friendship had turned to complete shit. We couldn't go to the mall together without some girl interrupting our plans and trying to flirt with him or some guy telling him to ditch me and come hang out with them. I was tired of being ignored. I was the only person who gave him attention, but now he forgets I exist.

"Are you sure? You seem out of it," he grinned.

"Oh, you noticed," I snickered, "Funny, you didn't notice me standing by you for 5 minutes straight."

I sped up my pace to get farther from him.

"You noticed those girls, though," I murmured.

He tried to keep up with me.

"Slow down, Y/n," he begged, "We were supposed to skate home together."

I stopped and turned to him.

"I can go home alone," I stated, "I've been doing lots of things alone lately. I eat my lunch alone. I go to the skatepark alone. I go to the movies alone. I didn't do those things alone before, but times- and people change. You showed me that well enough."

I continued walking until I was out the school door. I knew this time would come eventually. SpongeBob was amazing to be around. He was goofy, charming, and a sweetheart. It was only a matter of time before every other girl realized he was a gem, and I'd have to fight for him. That time came. 

Homework on a Friday night was child cruelty, but who was I to tell Mr. Williams that? I'd still have to do it. Losing my mind over the math sheet in my face, I sat at my desk as I tried to comprehend everything I had just crammed into my head.

"Hey, Y/n," my older sister yelled from downstairs, "Some dork is at the door for you!"

Who the heck would be at my house at 6 pm? Let alone a dork...Spongebob. I sighed and ran down the steps to greet him.

"You wanna see a picture of me in a coma," Russell asked my sister.

"Don't talk to me, dweeb," My sister responded, "Hey, Y/n, next time you invite one of your little nerdy boyfriends over, make sure you answer the door."

My sister walked away to do...I don't know. I didn't focus on her life. Our relationship hadn't been strong ever since she started high school. She was probably doing college things. SpongeBob and I stood in front of the door in silence.

"Hi," he let out.

"I'm doing homework," I sighed, "What do you want?"

"I just wanted to make sure you were alright," he insisted, "You've been distant with me lately. You wouldn't even let me skate home with you today."

"I figured you didn't want to," I nitpicked, "Besides, plenty of other girls you could have skated with. Clara. Rebecca. Yancy."

I rolled my eyes, "Stacy..."

"You've been bringing her up a lot lately," He ridiculed.

"Because it's true," I stated, "She kissed you, right? And ever since, all that matters to you is popularity and girls. You can't even hold a phone call with me without you hanging up because 'Oh, Julie's calling me. I have to take this.'"

"Julie's my partner in Chemistry," he cracked up, "You're being insecure."

"Maybe you're the reason why," I stammered, "No matter what we do, you set me to the side and focus on someone else. It's like I'm not even your friend anymore. You treat me like your little sibling you hate- you treat me like my sister does."

"I-i'm sorry," Russell apologized, "Look, I'm going to make it up to you. I swear. I'm free right now, how about we watch movies? I brought popcorn."

Russell began to dig into his bag for the popcorn, but my sister walked in and stopped him. She dangled her keys in front of my face.

"Y/n, I don't hate you. If you wanted to hang out with me, that's all you had to say," she smiled, "You should have told me how you felt. I never wanted you to think I didn't like you. You're my mini-me."

"Well, I think she tried," Russell cut in.

"Shut up, pip-squeak, I'll end you," she responded.

Russell looked away, "Okay, I will."

My sister smiled as she looked back at me.

"Come on, me, you, and your little dork boyfriend are going to see an actual movie," she continued.

"I'll pay for snacks," Spongebob cut in.

"Do you have anything else you want to say to her, kid," my sister said to him, "I've been on this earth too long to know you weren't doing all that only to invite her to watch a movie. Hurry up and say what you have to say- the next movie starts in 30 minutes, and traffic is not fun out there."

"You're right," Russell gulped.

My sister terrified him. I could see it the way he shivered when he looked at her.

"Y/n, you are my best friend, and I want you to be more than that," he spilled, "I liked you, I always have, but I didn't know if you liked me either. I'm sorry, and I love you."

"Love," I gasped.

"That's a strong word, my boy," my sister inserted, "So think about it wisely because if you break her heart, I'll break your face."

"I mean it. I love you, Y/n," he reassured, "I may have never experienced it before, but I feel like this is what people talk about in the movies."

"Speaking of movies," My sister interrupted, "Can we hurry this up? We gotta go."

"I love you too," I responded as I hugged him.

"We have to go!"