Love Song- Jimmy Darling

My voice never changed as a child, continuing to sound the same even in my 20s. Some say it's captivating, and others complain about it being too distracting. No matter the thoughts, both parties agreed they couldn't suffer by hearing me every day. Since I was a teenager, I was an outcast and picked on. The other kids would strike me when I spoke, claiming they were doing everyone's ears a favor. My father put tape on my mouth whenever I came home. At funerals, they wouldn't let me cry because they said I'd disturb the peace. When the show came to town, I made my over, and upon meeting Miss Elsa and a few others, I was now known as the Siren. I often did solo performances where I'd read or tell jokes. My best bit was usually when Ma Petite and I would play a game with the crowd- we'd turn around, one of us would speak, and they'd have to guess which of us said it.

This Freakshow had been my home for so long that I forgot when I joined. It had been a few months, and everything was better than I'd imagined. Well, everything except one other performer. Everyone welcomed me with open arms during my arrival, but after a few weeks, one guy turned sour toward me. He was the most handsome of them all; he might even have been the most striking in all of Jupiter, but Jimmy Darling and I couldn't seem to get along. It all started when Elsa gave us a song to sing together- a cute love ballad. I was eager because I'd never gotten to sing, but he acted nasty about it, and then it hit me. He was embarrassed to sing with me. Since then, Lobster Boy and I argued daily, and one of those clashes had transpired now in the main tent.

"You know, my Ma raised me right. She told me to respect women, but I can't help it. You're a bitch," Jimmy shouted.

"And you're walking crab meat. You smell like fish too, or maybe that's because of what you do when you leave here. And before you ask how I know that, I have normal friends who talk to me in public, unlike you," I mocked.

"Oh, can it, PipSqueak. They only talk to you when asking you to speak up louder. No sane person could tolerate speaking to a mouse back to back. They should join the show and add to your bit if they can. Speaking to animals is a better performance," he taunted. 

"That's it. Does anyone around here have a pot I could boil him in," I exclaimed.

Our altercation must've gotten more heated than usual because Paul found Miss Ethel, Jimmy's mom, and brought her over to de-escalate the commotion; she shook her head as she stomped toward us.

"Jimmy. Y/n. What is going on here? Why is Paul telling me y'all are fighting again? We talked about this," Miss Ethel asked.

"He's making fun of my voice again. I'm sorry, Miss Ethel. I tried. I truthfully did- your son called me a bitch," I tattled.

Miss Ethel glared over at her son, whose face was now rose pink. Jimmy tried to avoid her burning stare but couldn't ignore his Ma. That was the one thing I liked about him; he loved his Ma so much that he tried his best to be a gentleman to every woman he encountered, except me.

"I'm sorry, Ma, but she's acting like one. I wouldn't call her that if she wasn't," Jimmy explained.

Miss Ethel sighed as she stood in thought. She looked like she was having a flashback.

"Ma, are you okay," Jimmy questioned.

"Not really- because that reminded me of a man I once dated. Which tells me all I need to know," she chuckled.

Jimmy and I shared a confused look as Ethel laughed at memories. The entire room gathered to hear her tell a story from down memory lane, taking seats because there was nothing better than an old-fashioned storytime. Jimmy and I sat one seat apart from each other.

"When I first got into this business, I met a man who used to poke fun that I had more hair on my face than he did- like how you pick on Y/n for her voice. God, did that man terrorize me, and sometimes I'd sit and think, 'Wow. I've done nothing to this man, so why is he always harassing me,'" she reminisced. 

"Did you ever find out why," Paul interrogated.

"Oh, I did more than that," she giggled.

"He sounds like he was just being a jerk, Ma," Jimmy declared.

"He was a jerk, Jimmy, but he was also your father," Miss Ethel announced.

The whole room grew silent as Jimmy's face turned pink again. He slid down in his chair and pretended to ignore everything that had just been said. Embarrassment covered his face as he stared at the air.

"Jimmy, we can still see you, and so can Y/n," Miss Ethel informed.

He covered his eyes with his hand as if that would help. Something told me he took peek-a-boo too seriously as a child.

"Alright, I get it. Everyone, how about we get out of here and let two lovebirds talk," Miss Ethel suggested. 

Collective agreement filled the room as they all scattered out of the tent, leaving me and invisible Jimmy alone. I wondered if he knew that camouflage can still be seen as well. Jimmy continued staring into his hand as I scooted into the empty seat between us.

"Is that why you didn't want to sing a love song with me," I asked.

He removed his hand from his face and gave me a sheepish grin.

"I'm sorry, Y/n. I know I probably made you feel like nothing. I don't know how to tell my feelings to people. Ma says I get it from my Pa- that and alcohol addiction. I need a drink,"  he informed.

"No, you don't. What you need is this," I said.

I leaned over and kissed him on his cheek, making him sit up immediately in his chair. He smiled as he turned to face me, still blushing from the kiss.

"How about we start over? I'll go first: Hi, my name is Y/n. It's nice to meet you," I said.

"It's nice to meet you too, Y/n. They call me Jimmy, but if you want, you could call me your boyfriend," He flirted.

"You came on too strong there,"  I chuckled.

Jimmy and I laughed as we continued to re-introduce ourselves for the rest of the night, and by the way he kissed me underneath the moonlight, I'd say he eventually got it right.