Shortcuts-Kyle Spencer(Pre-Death)

I had just finished unpacking my boxes in my dorm. I was finally out on my own. It was exciting, but I was terrified. Everyone says college is supposed to be fun. What they forget to mention is how that only applies to your typical preps, jocks, and rich kids. The rest of us suffer. It was my sophomore year luckily. Freshman year was absolute shit, but I didn't want to dwell on the bullshit it brought. I just wanted to focus on the positivity of it. Ok, let me stop lying. There was no positivity, but I just wanted to get the school year over with.

I was on my way to class. I usually leave early so I can arrive before anyone else can see me. I had found a secret shortcut that leads from the dorms to class halls that no one else had known about. Well, at least, I thought no one else had known about it. There was a blonde boy on the same route as me today. I had seen him around campus before. I doubt he'd seen me, or maybe he had, but he hadn't recognized me. I changed a lot during the break. The way I did my hair, the clothes I wore, and my ringtone; I had gotten in touch with my true self, and I accepted it. I didn't wanna learn whether or not others accepted me or not. I didn't want to go through the embarrassment.

The blonde boy walked towards me and smiled at me.

"I haven't seen you around before, " the cute blonde asked, "Are you new?"

I silently shook my head and started to walk away. The boy took that as an offer to continue to talk as he walked beside him.

"Ah, so you're not very much of a talker, " he continued, "I get it. Silence is a treasure that's rarely appreciated."

I raised my eyebrow at him. Was he some kind of Literature major? I didn't have time to listen to one of Shakespeare's sonnets or get into arguments about Edgar Allen Poe.

"Listen, if you're gonna start reading lines from Macbeth at any moment, " I began, "Warn me ahead of time so I can get away from you quicker."

A small chuckle escaped his lips.

"So you do talk, " he smiled.

"Rarely, " I responded, "It depends on the person. I don't trust to speak with everyone."

"Ahh, " he said, "But you talked to me. So am I special?"

I looked at the man again. He had a wide grin on his face, showing off his dimples. Cute. The embroidery on his chest instantly caught my attention. KLG. He was a frat boy. Makes sense. I've been through this before; a Frat boy talks to an unknown girl only to embarrass her and make himself look good. I turned my head to face forward again.

"No, you're just annoying, " I admitted.

"Ouch, " the boy let out, "Why so grouchy?"

I stopped dead in my tracks and turned to face him.

"Look, I don't have time for one of your silly little bets, "  I spat, "The only reason you're over here is so you can ask me out, watch me get excited, and then laugh and tell your Frat brothers that you won a bet. I know how this game goes- it's happened multiple times to me before. Your plan has failed. Now leave me alone."

There was silence between the two of us.

"Look, I'm sorry, " Kyle apologized, "I should've given you your space, and I'm sorry that happened to you."

I rolled my eyes. I was not falling for his fake sympathy.

"Yeah, right, " I scoffed, "It was always one of your frat brothers who did it. Kappa Lambda Gamma. You probably knew about it anyway."

"Look, just because they're my frat brothers doesn't mean I know or condone everything that they do, " He replied, "They may be jerks, but you shouldn't assume I'm the same way just because of a logo on my shirt."

He was right...or was he?

"Then prove it, " I jeered him.

"What," he questioned.

"Prove to me that you're nothing like your brothers, " I proposed, "Since they're such jerks, show me what makes you a saint."

A smirk appeared on his face.

"It's a deal, " he smiled, "Game on."

"Fine. You have one week to show me the good person you claim to be, " I told him.

"One week, that's nothing, " he brushed it off, "By the way, I'm Kyle and you are?"

"Y/n."