A Friend in Need- Tate Langdon

I sat in bed staring at my closet door. That weeping sound was coming from it again. I turned my head to look at my clock. 3:30 AM. The sound had been going on for two hours now and it scared me out of my mind. Luckily, it was a Saturday. If I was going to die by the Boogeyman who haunted my room, at least I wouldn't have to go to school the next day.

I had tried to tell my aunt about it, but she never believed me. She said the rumors about the house were getting to my head and to try to relax, but who can relax when this is what I hear every night. Tonight was different though, the weeping seemed worse than before. I could even make out its words this time.

"I'm sorry, Violet, " the voice moaned throughout my room.

Violet. That was the name of the Harmons daughter, who were the previous owners of this house. They all died horrendously, except for Violet, she and her surviving baby brother disappeared out of thin air. Could it be talking about her? Nah I was overthinking.

The boogeyman in the closet only got louder and louder, then for the first time in the history of us moving here, it stopped. My whole body froze. I was petrified. This had never happened before, what if it knew I was awake. I started to freak myself out. The moment only became more horrifying as I heard the closet door start to creak open and stop.

This was it. This was my last night. I was going to die by whatever monster revealed itself from that doorway. I could see my life flash before my eyes. I hadn't even gotten to graduate yet, I was only a senior. Couldn't it have waited a few more months? I could feel my lungs start to panic. My breathing had become unhinged only getting worse when the sound of footsteps began to get closer to my bed. Suddenly, they stopped. I was surprised that my heart didn't stop with it because I was freaking the hell out.

"Don't be scared, " a male voice came from the edge of my bed, "I'm not going to hurt you."

That sounds like something someone would say before they hurt you. I quickly pulled the covers over my head and tried to block out everything that was going on. This could not be happening. Maybe my family was right? Maybe I was going mad because this made no sense once so ever. Ghosts aren't supposed to exist, so what in the actual fuck was going on?

"You usually frighten yourself asleep around this time, " the voice continued, "I didn't expect you to still be up."

It was trying to converse with me. Maybe it was a friendly ghost. I slowly pulled the covers off of my head and saw nothing, but darkness. I tried the get her the words to speak.

"Who are you, " I whispered, "And why were you crying in my closet?"

I felt a dip in my bed. It was right next to me. If I was younger, I would have peed right on the spot. I tried to seem calm.

"I'm Tate, " the voice wailed, "And Violet won't talk to me."

Even though I was horrified, I was curious to see what he looked like. Did he have a third eye? Was he a floating head? Did he have grey skin? Was he a shadow? I had to know.

"What do you look like, " I asked him.

Without warning, an apparition replaced the darkness beside me. The blonde-haired boy stared at me with brown eyes. He was beautiful. His eyes were puffy and his face was stained with tears. My heart broke for him.

"Whoa, " I gasped, "You're more human than I expected. Why isn't she talking to you?"

The boy started to cry even harder even starting to pull at his hair as he did so. I tried to pry his hands from his head. After successfully getting him to release his grip on his head, I held his hands within my own.

"It's all my fault, " Tate sobbed, "She hates me."

I was even more confused than before. He wouldn't tell me what he did or why she wasn't talking to him. He just gave me vague answers. I decided to just give him a break and help comfort him. It's already bad enough that he's a ghost trapped in this house for eternity, but now he's a depressed ghost. The poor boy could catch a break. After a while, he finally stopped crying, we both sat in silence. I had so many questions for him.

"How did you die, " I asked him.

"They shot me right over there, " he shrugged, "They didn't like what I did."

"What did you do, " I continued.

"I thought I was helping the world, " the boy sniffled, "I tried to help out, but no one appreciated it. No one likes me. I have no friends. Everyone hates me."

"We could be friends, " I assured him, "I know we just met, but you seem like a sweetheart."

A small grin started to appear on his face.

"Really, " he sniffled.

I nodded my head as I released his hands from my own. I trusted that he wouldn't try to rip out his hair follicles anymore.

"You know today is Halloween, " Tate began, "Ghosts can leave the house on Halloween."

"Makes sense," I shrugged, "Halloween is when all the ghosts and ghouls come out to haunt. It's probably why you finally walked out of my closet."

"I want to take you out later," Tate continued, "We can go get some food, then go to the park. Maybe see a movie and hang out the whole day. You know- like- normal friends do "

"Sounds fun, " I agreed.

"I'll be back in a few hours, " Tate smiled, "We'll leave at 11."

"In the morning, " I asked.

He excitedly shook his head as he stood up from the bed and made his way out of the doorway, disappearing afterward.

As the boy disappeared, I felt a sadness rush over me. I liked having his presence around. The room began to become warm causing me to assume that he had left. As I thought about what had just happened, I smiled to myself. I had just made a friend.

Another wave of coldness flashed over the room, I sat up thinking it was him. I tried not to scream as a brown-haired girl stood in front of me. I recognized her face from the newspaper.

"Violet, " I gasped.

"Whatever you do, do not trust him, " she warned, "He'll hurt you. He hurts everyone."

In the blink of an eye, she was gone. I thought she was alive. The pieces were starting to get put together. He was calling out to Violet Harmon, who just so happened to be dead, so what was he apologizing for? So many more questions are unlocked in my head. What had I just gotten myself into?