Co-Stars

Perfection is a perspective that often changes with society's views and thoughts. What could be perfect for one person could be incomplete for another. The subject of perfection has caused arguments and war, but if people could be open-minded and accept that everyone processes things differently, peace would be closer to gain. Objects were the focus when the term crossed my mind because people are too different to be perfect. That's what I used to think before meeting the man in front of me.

He was a movie star in more ways than one. The actor blessed my TV screen one too many times, but the pixelated screen did not do enough justice to how handsome he was. A face like that could make a newborn get up and walk. His smooth porcelain skin and mocha eyes paired with that beautiful dimpled smile. No other words left my mouth after our introduction as he snatched them from my esophagus with the sound of his voice. Everything about him was surreal, like seeing a shooting star for the first time, and I made a wish every time he looked in my direction. Meeting him was only ever a dream as someone who was a fan of his, and now he would be my co-actor in my first film. Life came at me fast, but my face stung from the whiplash.

My cast members agreed to meet up with each other for a bite to eat after our script rehearsals, and whether the man would attend the get-together was unknown to me. The thought of having a pizza delivered to my house was relaxing enough to lead me to the elevator. One person noticed me exiting and rushed over. Seeing his face again made me lose my sense of reality, especially once the door closed behind him. The option of escaping ended after he pressed the button to the lobby and stood beside me.

"I'm glad I caught you before you left!" he exclaimed. "You're coming to the restaurant afterward, right?"

We could see each other's faces reflecting from the steel doors, and the classier elevator music cover of My Neck My Back playing overhead was not catchy enough to distract him from my silence. He could most likely tell how nervous he made me through the mirrored versions of ourselves before us.

"I-I'm not big with crowds." I stuttered.

He smirked at my response; it seemed he hadn't expected me to respond. My skills in the social department were awful, so it wouldn't surprise me if he thought my quietness was me being a jackass.

"Color me surprised. You're not the partying type at all?" Evan interrogated. "Come on, everyone has a little party animal inside. I know you've got one."

My eyes refused to meet his as he spoke to me. Whatever spell this man had on me needed to be reversed quickly because the fear of embarrassing myself haunted me, and it hadn't even occurred.

"Nope, but I have Mario Party at home." I joked. "Surely that'll count for something."

My inner tension released as he chuckled and shook his head. When in doubt, make him laugh it out.

"I'll give you points for good taste." he chuckled. "But you've got to come. It's vital to have a get-together with the newbies after their first reading."

None of my other castmates mentioned the 'tradition' to me beforehand. They'd made it seem like attending was optional.

"Vital? How so?" I questioned.

"Well, it helps the cast and crew get to know each other and build our chemistry before filming." Evan insisted. "And it's a tradition that I came up with myself, so it helps my ego."

The laughable honesty was appreciated, but his proud smile was the icing on the cake. He made my heart play hopscotch in my chest when his reflection looked over at mine. We didn't have to make direct contact for him to leave me awestruck.

"The first reason sounded valid, but the second one not so much." I chuckled.

"Yeah, I don't think I worded that correctly, so I'll try again." Evan laughed. "As the creator and host of the tradition, I would be hyped if you would come. So I have to know what would make you attend?"

How much he wanted me to show my face at the restaurant amazed me. It lowkey came across my mind to ask him if he'd questioned the others like this.

"You could always imagine me being there." I offered.

"If that's the case, I could just get a cardboard cutout made of you and stand in the corner with it." he joked.

"See, you're coming up with great ideas already." I kidded. "But all jokes aside. Is it seriously that important?"

"Yeah. Plus, a curse follows the people who don't come too." he acknowledged. "People who bail usually leave after a season or two- some don't even last a day. That's what happens when you're always filming about curses, spells, and horror shit. It comes true."

It was tricky to indicate whether his claim was genuine or a fear tactic against me. That's the downfall of working with actors. Evan alone convinced me to learn how to become a polygraph examiner and do lie detector tests on everyone around.

"Come on, what do you say?" Evan pleaded.

"What restaurant will we be going to again?" I sighed.

The restaurant Evan had given me directions to was much more classier than expected. Thankfully, something in the back of my head reminded me that Hollywood required dressing extra everywhere you go. It was a priority for me to keep a fancy silk dress on standby whenever attending any events. Evan nearly hopped out of his seat once he noticed me entering the building. The hostess hadn't gotten the chance to greet me when he approached her stand.

"Hi Y/n. I'm glad you came." he greeted.

He leaned over to hug me, taking me by surprise as most people wait a few weeks before hugging people they've just met. One of the ingredients in his cologne must've been pheromones as it lured me to wrap around him and reciprocate the action. Most hugs were quick, but our bodies latched onto each other and feared letting go. They were co-dependent on each other's touch and discouraged when we released one another.

"Sorry. I can get a little carried away." Evan apologized. "I didn't think you'd come. You look fantastic, by the way."

"No need to apologize." I acknowledged. "And thank you, you look the same. Which is a compliment, by the way."

Even the hostess at the stand noticed the chemistry as she pretended to set up reservations on her tablet while sneaking glances at us.

"Excuse me, Mr. Peters, I could seat you two at a separate table from the others if you'd like." she notified.

"Oh, thank you, but that won't be needed." he expressed. "Do you think you could get someone to bring me another glass of water, though?"

"No problem, sir. And by the way, the holidays are coming soon, so we might be pretty booked next week." she continued. "I could squeeze in a reservation for a party of two beforehand, though."

She looked back and forth between the both of us.

"Water would just be fine." he reached into his pocket and pulled out a couple of big bills. "It's obvious you need a raise, though."

"Ouhh, big tipper. Thank you!" she took the wad of cash out of his hand. "Let me go tell your waiter to get the water."

The elated hostess left her stand to find a server while Evan and I sat there and tried to ignore the situation. While things wouldn't be said aloud, the situation had already been assessed in my head. This wasn't the feeling of a fan girl meeting her celebrity crush anymore. This was a real crush on my co-star.

"Our tables this way."